Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2011, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
That was the breather cover on the air filter lol not the scalp wheel.

I went back and watched and it was easy to see that it was the cover. I just ass/u/me/d that it was a anti-scalp wheel, because when I see something black go shooting off my XR-7 it is the scalp wheels
Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblades View Post
But the mower deck will still feel the bumps. so it seems like the suspension platform would not really allow any faster cutting than the non suspension platform models, because regardless of how you are isolated from all of the bumps (on rough, bumpy ground ) the rest of the mower, including the mower deck will be reacting to all of those bumps. We all know what kind of a cut a bouncing deck will leave.
or loose or get reed off deck lift assist springs: any bump - hard or smooze causes acceleration of front wheels in vertical dimension, canceling g-force which holds deck down and causes deck jump-up on springs and than to fall down smashing against the frame and deck height system when stopped by chains
my springs are loose almost completely - deck bouncing and hits reduced dramatically - allowing to go trough the bumps smoother and faster takes more effort to rise a deck - but not much (it awkward on hustler with or without springs : ))))
on the wright standers engine on the floating deck and rubber isolators (pict)allows go through uneven terrain without slowing down and deck flipflopping and smashing like in conventional set-ups
DC put springs over-the shocks to reduce deck bouncing (pict)
on exmark and toro simple rubber hose (pict) acts like spring and pushes deck height adjustment lever in opposite to stock direction - preventing deck lock-up in up-position by itself (now it only locks-up if operator want it and pushes lever to the left)
Attached Images

Last edited by demhustler; 05-01-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What was the Scag doing? Was he starting off in low, then changing to high? If thats correct, I was sooo wrong about 2 speed system! The Hustler had it from the get go!

Good to have a side by side look at the SZ and Scag. Lots of other things to consider like weight, hill side, ride, cut quality in various conditions, turf damage etc though!

Interesting!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblades View Post
But the mower deck will still feel the bumps. so it seems like the suspension platform would not really allow any faster cutting than the non suspension platform models, because regardless of how you are isolated from all of the bumps (on rough, bumpy ground ) the rest of the mower, including the mower deck will be reacting to all of those bumps. We all know what kind of a cut a bouncing deck will leave.
It needs to be really bumpy ground for the deck to bounce like you describe here. A park system I mowed I could go flat out with a super z without deck bounce 99% of the time. Operator bounces around more as they weigh less than the deck. The platform keeps operator comfort up so they are fresh the whole day. Just how it stops the jaring of the back (up/down) will do great things for productivity.

I see the first gear being used as a speed control. 1st gear for most small to mid size properties besides any transport. 2nd gear for open areas/large properties (think school grounds).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2011, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
What was the Scag doing? Was he starting off in low, then changing to high? If thats correct, I was sooo wrong about 2 speed system! The Hustler had it from the get go!

Good to have a side by side look at the SZ and Scag. Lots of other things to consider like weight, hill side, ride, cut quality in various conditions, turf damage etc though!

Interesting!
I would say the operator was wrong on the whole shifting thing, trying to get cute. He should of left it in high and worry about his cornering speed than shifting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-02-2011, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am glad someone posted this vid, And to think that the super Z is only using 18% of thier pumps capacity. Thoes pumps are probably yawning saying "give me a real challenge"