Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Dump truck vs trailer

Howdy everyone!

We've been busy this season. This is our 3rd year going and we are starting to haul/dump more mulch, top soil, spring/fall cleaning etc than we've before. We are doing this w/ our 7x16 open trailer and its a little bit hassle.

So my question is: Which one will benefit us more by buying a 8 ft dump truck vs 16 ft dump trailer?

Any thoughts or pro/con will be great.

Thank!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well what's your budget? Trailers are much cheaper and don't have a tranny and engine to replace. However you have a limit at the amount of times you can dump on the trailer battery unless you can hook it to the alternator. Backing up can be a pain as well.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 04-20-2011, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just saw a sweet trailer/dump trailer combo on e bay the other day. The first 10ft was an open trailer with large side ramp and the second half was a 10 or 12ft dump trailer. I'm thinking that would be an awesome fall clean up rig.
There's a few things I don't like about a dump trailer, it sits too low, you need a lot of room to dump. They can get very heavy and your using a vehicle to tow it around with vs. a dump truck. Dump trucks sit a bit higher and can dump in tighter spots, one vehicle to do the same thing, one less thing to register. Just my thoughts.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you plow snow? A trailer is not very helpful in the winter. I have both and the dump truck is by far more useful.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Puddle of Oil: Budget is not a problem for our company ( we eventually will need one of them one way or other ).

Nobagger: Yep - I've seen lot of dump trailer siting low and that might pose problem as far as where I work and do service.

scagrider22: Our company's planning on add snow plowing/removal service by upcoming season.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can haul more in the trailer. So we went with that at first and use it every day for grass. It's easier for use to bring two trucks to some places. We may get 10-14 yards of grass and one place sometimes can't do that with a dump truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-20-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have them both. Started with the trailer and the bought the truck they both have there places. Trailer is cheaper to buy, less maintenance cost, less registration and insurance. down side need another truck to move it around, yes the battery due die. The dump truck cost more up front. higher maintenance cost. more for registration and insurance. can get in to tight er places. but each has there place and I'm glad that i have both of them it nice after a day of mowing to back up pull two pins and dump and go.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have both... had the trailer first and that's probably what I would advise. So what if it sits in the winter, it's still very versatile. In fact the dump trailer gets towed everyday by the dump truck (dump truck carries the tools, lol)! We would rather work out of the dump trailer for almost everything! Someone said they "sit too low" but that's the best thing about a dump trailer. Also good for ramping wheelbarrows into... we do that a lot. You can fit more in it. I see more and more guys this year with dump trailers.

BUT Be sure to have a truck that can handle the weight!!

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
Have both... had the trailer first and that's probably what I would advise. So what if it sits in the winter, it's still very versatile. In fact the dump trailer gets towed everyday by the dump truck (dump truck carries the tools, lol)! We would rather work out of the dump trailer for almost everything! Someone said they "sit too low" but that's the best thing about a dump trailer. Also good for ramping wheelbarrows into... we do that a lot. You can fit more in it. I see more and more guys this year with dump trailers.

BUT Be sure to have a truck that can handle the weight!!
If you lived in the snow belt you wouldnt want the trailer over another truck that can make money year round. To the OP, if your going to push snow the truck is the way to go, if your not then its a coin toss.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

R & R: We do lot of mowing and mulch/top soil work year round then we have firewood in winter + plan on add snow plowing next year so we are steering toward truck.

Coastal: Can agree w/ insurance, cheaper etc. We don't really able to get two of them at this time.

Perfect Earth: Where we work often - got lot hills, back up etc so low part still worries me. However when I make runs to landfill - almost everyone's haul dump trailer.

scagrider22: We don't exactly live in snow belt but we do spend winters in parts of western md where it avg easy over 100' snow a yr so obv truck will suit us better.