Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2011, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Whats with all this rain?!?!

seriously, it needs to stop for a week or two. We are still working on getting in 1 cut for for our entire route. Got about 23 more resi's and 1 larger commercial to cut between today and saturday and its drizzling outside now and I'm sitting on here talking to you guys, lol.

We have had the mowers stuck more times than I'd like to admit this week. Problem is that it has rained since the end of march with only maybe 5-7 full clear days between the month and a half so far. Last year we got 2-3 cuts in April. This pushes our mulch and other landscape jobs back too b/c the ground is just absolutely saturated, walking makes ruts easily. Thank God for the walker we picked up this year, bagging everything keeps the yards looking much cleaner, especially when we are cutting off a good 4-6" of growth. Our front yard took 4 hoppers and its only <4K sq. ft.

anyways, just venting a bit since we have had employee troubles thats driving me nuts. We are trying out a new guy today so hopefully that works out...
Old 04-29-2011, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm kinda in the same boat. I did finally get them all caught up. My problem was rain at first, then as soon as the weather broke, my truck engine went out. The truck wasn't worth anything so I had to find a new (new to me) truck. Then scramble to get them all done. Way over grown after a second week. You'll get there.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hear ya about the truck situation. While we have been lucky so far this year with no equipment breakdowns. We are looking for a 550 size truck with ext/crew cab and dump body for a mowing truck. Right now with the amount of grass we are pulling out, we are running a two truck setup. our diesel pickup pulling the enclosed and I'm driving our 1ton dump that we use for the clippings. I want to put the new dump as a mowing truck and it should serve as a stepping stone until we find a large 33k single axle dump.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Its almost 8 am and the rain wont let here. Were supposed to have some nice days after today but I'm just sitting here drinking coffee and hoping it stops so i can get something done today.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Same here

We finally got everything caught up as of yesterday. We have gotten stuck a couple times too. Even our lawns that dry out quickly and take rain well are giving us trouble this year.
6.5' X 12' Trailer
2007 Chevy 1500
1997 Dodge Ram 2500
Echo Accessories
Old 04-30-2011, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same situation here in Pennsylvania. We've been mowing for three weeks now...and...about 75% of it in the rain. I have lawns that are under about a 1/2" to 1" of water and the grass is growing about 4"-6" per week. Never in my 13 years of business have I had to cut without the bagger first then put the bagger back on and remow the lawn...NEVER...we did this past week! Mother Nature needs fired! I think we are around 8" above normal rain fall for this time of year. Then to top all that off...the damn people who get their lawn fertilized to make it "greenier"...WHAT...March, April, and May rain/weather will take care of a green lawn all on its own.
2 -Toro Z450 w/ Bagger + Striping Kit
32" Lesco w/ Sulky & Bagger
36" Lesco w/ Sulky
3 - Husqvarna Push Mowers
Lawnboy Push Mower
Husqvarna 125E Combi w/ Hedge Trimmer
2 - Husqvarna 223L Trimmers
3 - Poulan Pro BP400 BP Blowers
Husqvarna 125BT BP Blower
Tanaka TPE-260PF Stick Edger
Cyclone Rake
3 - Stihl Hedge Trimmers
Western UniMount Plow
Buyers Salt Spreader
www.facebook.com/yardatwork
Old 05-01-2011, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardatwork View Post
Same situation here in Pennsylvania. We've been mowing for three weeks now...and...about 75% of it in the rain. I have lawns that are under about a 1/2" to 1" of water and the grass is growing about 4"-6" per week. Never in my 13 years of business have I had to cut without the bagger first then put the bagger back on and remow the lawn...NEVER...we did this past week! Mother Nature needs fired! I think we are around 8" above normal rain fall for this time of year. Then to top all that off...the damn people who get their lawn fertilized to make it "greenier"...WHAT...March, April, and May rain/weather will take care of a green lawn all on its own.
lol people get it fertilized now to prevent crabgrass, not to make it "greenier"
Old 05-01-2011, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMAX View Post
lol people get it fertilized now to prevent crabgrass, not to make it "greenier"
Don't know what they use in your area but around here you can tell who did and didn't get treated. Its a lot greener and taller. It has crab grass preventer but also fertilizer.
If the sun does come out don't see how we can keep up.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

We've gotten maybe 4" of rain here since september. 1.5 of that was in the last week and we need more. I feel your pain there were times last year I couldn't mow from the rain. The weather's getting wierd.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We've been getting the rain here too. The Mississippi river is forcasted to break the high water record in Memphis by May 8th. After looking at the devastation in Alabama by the tornados, I really feel like I should'nt complain. Those people really got slammed.