Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-05-2002, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Books and Resources to Learn about the bus.

I want to do alot of studying on soils, fertilizing, and Pesticides. I would love some suggestions on materials that I can get a hold of and study? When I start offering these services, I don't just want to be a "hose jockey". Then again, maybe I just need a compilation of Tremor's posts!

Thanks
Jay
Old 10-05-2002, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jay,

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm no Phd. Here are some of my favorite titles. If the link works as I suspect, you'll end up at Amazon with a ready made screen of the books listed. I hope.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...146081-6992725

If not, here are some of the better titles:

The Turfgrass Disease Handbook by Houston B Couch
Diseases of Turfgrasses by Houston B Couch
Turfgrass Science & Management byThomas & Emmons
Turf Mgmnt for Golf by James Beard
Insects of Turf in US & Canada by Haruo Tashiro
Insects that Feed On Trees & Shrubs by Johnson
Management of Turf Disease by Vargas
Soils & Fertility by Troeh
Mathmatics of Turgrass Maint by Christians & Agnew

That got me over to the bookcase in my office. And now I've decided that there are almost too many good books to choose from. LOL

Since these are expensive books, anyone getting started will have to watch the budget. So I think I'd start with Vargas, Troeh, & Tashiro if I had to pick three. But making that decision is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

What do some others think?

Steve
Old 10-05-2002, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your a stud Steve, thank you!

That will be quite a list to get me started, and more then enough to exhaust some of the old Savings reserves. Ever thought of writing books and selling them for $50 a pop? Sounds like the ticket to me, though I doubt you get the same volume of sales as to do the cheap romance novels and such.

The link did not really yield any books, but when I searced a couple titles many more books came up. Mayb some could be had on e-bay as well.

I assume any of these books will have lots of pictures and be of aid to me when taking my tests as well.

Thanks a bunch
Jay
Old 10-05-2002, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shady Brook-
A few months ago I had the chance to read a book by Nick Christians called Fundamentals of Turfgrass Management, which had a lot of useful information.
In late August, I began the Certified Turfgrass Professional course through the PLCAA and The University of Georgia. This course offers a lot of information as far as an overall approach to lawn care. The course costs $305.95 if you are not a member of the PLCAA and you have a year to complete it. There was a discount for members but I don't remember what that was.
I feel it's well worth the money.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

kppurn

Thanks for the thoughts. Do you have any more info on the course you are taking? Is it a selfstudy, I assume since you are listed in Indy. I will have to check into that book.

Thanks again
Jay
Old 10-05-2002, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jay-
Yes, the course is self study.
If you go to the PLCAA web site you should find info on the course.
There are fourteen chapters and two monitored exams.
The monitored exams are administered through a local university.
There is an IUPUI branch through the high school in my town just north of Indy. What I will do is have the University of Georgia send the test to them at the half way point and again at the end. They will then return it to the University of Georgia for grading.
I want to add fert./pest. applications to my services in the future, so I feel completing this course before the core and category training sessions at purdue will help me. The more knowledge the better!
Old 10-06-2002, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

kppurn

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have a good plan. The folks at Purdue sound really nice, I am anxious to get down there for the sessions. I will check out the site you mentioned as well, the more knowledge the better.

Take care
Jay
Old 10-07-2002, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Midwest Regional Turf Foundation

The MRTF has a IN-IL Turfgrass Short Course coming up Feb.24-28 in Willowbrook Il. You also may want to try www.btny.purdue.edu/Pubs/turfcast.fcgi or http://www.turf.uiuc.edu/NCR-192/tur...st/default.htm there is also a Turf & Ornamental Seminar on Nov. 8-2