Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

New Guys can never weed Wack

Why is it so hard to teach guys how to weed wack ?? Im on my 3rd guy this spring. when edging they either go to low or to much in ......I know im not the only one who has this problem
Old 04-28-2011, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its tough for people who have never trimmed to get the hang of it. I had a kid who was working with us trimming a graveyard, we finished mowing the entire place before he was even done with 3 rows.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Either some guys have it or they don't. If a guy does not pick it up in a week or less they will likely never be able to trim worth a you know what.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

So true. I believe everyone can eventually do it.... Its just a matter of how long will it take/how long do you give them. I can practically run and trim at the same time.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hired a guy this week who had a year's experience with another company. You wouldn't know it though. He trims way to low and misses a bit. The kid has a good attitude and even took my trimmer home to practice. Had a long talk with him today and don't know how to make it any more clear as to what I expect. He promises he will get it. I'm giving him another week to pick it up... I hope he gets it.

establishing roots in the community... www.mdlawns.com
Old 04-28-2011, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

have you tried having him literally follow behind you as you weed-eat the yards? my guy is an outstanding weed-eater and it's so nice not having to worry about it!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

It's really not that hard to teach anyone to trim. If they are not doing it good enough then maybe they never had someone teaching them who was any good at it in the first place. And no single person trims the same and if your so anal about it do it yourself.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone can "weed whack" but trimming a lawn well is a skill. I think just about anyone can learn, if they are shown how and are the type of person who pays attention to detail. I have only had one employee ever that just couldn't get it, and he was just not a detail person.

"No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle
Old 04-29-2011, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHlandscaping View Post
Why is it so hard to teach guys how to weed wack ?? Im on my 3rd guy this spring. when edging they either go to low or to much in ......I know im not the only one who has this problem
AMEN! I can understand a NEW guy who hasn't done it before (but srsly who the hell has never used a weedeater?)

Anyway, my thing is I have "friends" say "Oh I cut yards with my dad all the time" so you figure the guy can lay down a edge, nope. I started my biz last year and I've been through 3 friends who have all trimmed/edged before and what they think passes as edging or trimming around stuff absolutely amazes me. I can't figure out if they think what they've done actually looks good or if they're just lazy?? Well 1 friend I know just half asses everything but it was a mistake on my part to hire him, and the other two, I just think don't really know what looks good or what to do, etc.

It's always the little things they can't do like lay a deep edge, or trim the end of a sidewalk median and make it a straight line where you have had to turn the mower, or will trim barely around a mailbox when you need 2 ft of trimming around each side when maneuvering the mower around it...

I make a point to tell them I don't care if you go slow, just do a good job, and still I get almost amateur results...When I get a for real "helper" he IS going to be able to freaking trim and edge the way I want it done. You are not the only one experiencing this at all. I've been pretty frustrated with it too. 10 years I've run companies and been the trim/edge guy and all that. I look back thinking how lucky they were to have me because I can't find anyone worth a darn!

And of course when you hire a "helper" it's always to do the trimming and edging which is the simplest thing they can't even do, but actually, trim/edge is alot of what makes the difference between quality guys and hacks. I need to start hiring strangers or something.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am pretty darn good at it. I had a great teacher though. I know this might sound stupid, but teach him to "fly" it. This is how I was taught. I was told to think of it as I was flying the weedwhip. Too low and you'll crash and burn, have to keep it right at the level you want. When he sees bumps or rocks ahead, turn the head slightly and go around.

I know it sound stupid, but the guy who taught me was an artist with that thing. Once I got it through my head, I was doing great.

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!

I am the Infantry! Follow me!

Last edited by rywnygc; 04-29-2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: cant say ******ed..
Closed Thread