Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-02-2011, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

tried yard signs....

I tried yard signs put 15 out two weeks ago. I have gotten 6 calls 5 from people asking for a job and one from another guy that is a LCO asking me if they have worked if he should put some out.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaacutabove View Post
I tried yard signs put 15 out two weeks ago. I have gotten 6 calls 5 from people asking for a job and one from another guy that is a LCO asking me if they have worked if he should put some out.
Wow. I first understood it to be 5 people wanting you to work for them...but 5 people wanting to work for you
If then God so clothe the grass, wich is today in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more [will he clothe] you, O ye of little faith? (Luke 12:28)

For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. (Romans 14:8)
Old 05-02-2011, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I tried them last year, with zero results. Another guy in the same town says they work for him, and perhaps they do, because he leaves his out all year. I took mine down by the end of April. I actually have one in my own yard, because we live on a pretty busy highway, but I don't think I actually have received any calls because of it.

Someone on here a few months ago had a post about advertising that made a lot of sense to me, but I cannot recall who it was. They said that most advertising doesn't work at the moment. In other words, not many people actually see a sign, for example, and call immediately, but it is like TV commercials in that when the time comes they do need your service, they are more apt to call you because the name is familiar. In other words, the more exposure you have, the more likely you are to get their first call. So, perhaps keeping yard signs out long term is a good idea.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I talked with a radio guy he states that a person has to "hear" a spot 40 times to remember it. Goes along with the previous post. When they need us.....
Old 05-03-2011, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on keeping them out for a while hope it works.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That might have been my post you were referring to. (and if it wasn't me, maybe I actually did know what I was talking about) I made a similar post about how I treat my door hangers. Regardless of whether or not I get a call, I know that someone had to physically touch the door hanger and 95% of the time, at least read my name on it. This year, I've gotten more calls from my trailer simply being parked in front my house.

My business provides quality lawn care, but more than that, we offer even higher customer service.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
... I actually have one in my own yard, because we live on a pretty busy highway, but I don't think I actually have received any calls because of it.
If you live near a highway, you need a very big sign that can be red from a far distance. In projects it's different, the speed limit is slower, so you can get away with small signs.

I think you meant to say that advertising works with an impression. People need to see the company name 8 times + before they will remember it. So ya the longer it's out there the better it is.
Complete lawn care services
Old 05-03-2011, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i put like 10 out and haven't gotten any calls from any of them...they dont' work for me and neither do flyers...i got most of mine from a newspaper ad or word of mouth