Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2000, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was cutting an apartment complex with a Kubota G series tractor about six years ago. I accidently hit a rock and shot it over a whole parking lot, it then hit the back windshield of a Beretta and skipped up and went through there living room window!! He came out I made sure he was alright and told him I would take care of it, then I heard a crackling noise, I said is this your Beretta he started saying, Not the Beretta!! I said Yep, the Beretta. Cost $600 for both
Old 07-31-2000, 03:12 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This is one big reason I cut at higher settings. I haven't broken anything in 15 seasons, but I know a guy that mows very short and has broken about everything there is to break.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://elmlawnsite.com/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 07-31-2000, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

War Stories??? Hah!!!! Back in Quang Ju............... Okay just kidding, but I have a No $hit War (and I mean War!!!) story from when we were deployed to Macedonia. A British Military Cop decided that underneath one of our loader wheels was the best place for him to catch a quick nap in the shade. I shouldn't have to say anymore. The equipment operator that killed him had to be sent back to his base because he was mentally uinstable after the accident, blaming himself. So remember while you guys are tearing **** up out there, be safe!!! I know the cop was a dumbass for sitting under there in the first place, if the operator did his 360 degree vehicle inspection before startup (LIKE WE ARE TRAINED TO DO!!!) this would not have happened. Hope I didn't pull down the mood of the post, but I guess it might help serve as a wake up call next time your fixin to do something that you know is not a safe choice to make!!.<p>I'm from CT and I just said fixin' ??? See what the military has done to me, all these damn rednecks I work with!! Well speaking of.......where's Homer??? Scott, haven't heard from you in a while man!!! Well Enough of me!!<p><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 07-31-2000, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about flying people? Had a guy try to move a tree with a tree cart up a hill. When he made it to the top and turned around he flipped back down the hill. =)<br>Travis AG&G Lawn Maintenance
Old 07-31-2000, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I threw a rock the size of a fist about 75 feet and then it disappeared into the woods.<p>it would have killed someone with a direct hit. very sobering.<p>GEO
Old 07-31-2000, 05:28 PM

I had a cheapo come-along break apart--shot the unit accross the lawn and (at about 30mph) down a main road at a traffic light. Found it 50yds. away....didn't hit a thing. and the cable had a heavy blanket on it.<br>I got real lucky.<p>jeff<p>----------<br>Grass Roots Landscaping<br>
Old 07-31-2000, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got a good one. I was mowing a pretty good sized field that a friend of mine owned with a P.O.S. rider and hit a fork. Yeah, a piece of silverware in a field! It took off one of the prongs and shot it 75 feet then landed. It was completely mangled. I guess I couldn't see it in 6 inch grass.
Old 07-31-2000, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi.<br>Well i was mowing with my old mower (6hp 21'' craftsman) and a chunk of the deck fell into the path of the blades and completely stopped the blades and engine, i took thta think back right away. <p>----------<br>Scottie Schmidt<br>STS Lawn Care
Old 07-31-2000, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

While we're on the subject of hitting things, probably the most unusual thing I've ever even HEARD of to hit happened to US. While cutting down a yard that was a new account that this guy had just moved into, we were cutting grass that was almost waste high. As I looked across the yard, I saw my worker pulling something which appeared to be an old twisted up blanket or large towel out from underneath the deck. As I approached, I learned that it was someones Boa.......that's right a snake! This poor thing was cut nearly in two and had to be 8&quot; across. We put it out of it's misery by decappitation with a shovel and buried in the nearby woods. I didn't know what to do, so I called the police and they said all they can do is tell someone if they call in what happened. Oh yeah, this was about 5 years ago, and Mike, my worker that hit it is STILL called &quot;snake man&quot;. <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Runner
Old 07-31-2000, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just talked to a friend of mine, today he was cutting with his walkbehind and had to pull of his walker to get to it. He had his walker sitting there for a bit and then he needed to use it. He went to start it and a belt shot out. He then opened the catcher to find the remains of a possum in there. It crawled under the mower and in the grass chute, he turned on the blades and the fan inside chopped it up and blew the belt off!!