Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-28-2011, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

how much to charge to plant 28 4' arborvitae?

I am new to this. I have a job to plant about 38 4' tall arborvitae and then just mulch. What fertilizer do I use etc and how to price this. Thank you!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say it depends on the conditions you are planting in. We PLanted 24 of them earlier , and actually put 3 in the ground yesterday. Depending on the ground conditions my price usually figures out to about $20 to $40 per plant for a larger plant. I dont actually price it per plant though ... Yesterday we planted prob 80 plants ..40 were gallon pots of monkey grass. Took 6 hrs to unload and plant. .. in the other 40 were 6 - 7gal cleyera, 2- 7gal Nellys, and 3- 6' Arborvitae. My materials cost was 1400and I am charging 1100 in labor. Landscaping is hard work and you should be compensated well.... Yes that is nearly $200 per hour but three guys worked 6 hrs digging several large holes.. in 98 degree weather and designed a very nice landscape by their new pool.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. landscaping is rough work especially in hot weather. I will put a estimate together Material cost will be about 12-1300. I think In labor I should get at least $1450 to plant all hedges thats about 30$/ bush and then for mulching a 110x6 foot section. so about $2750.00 for all labor and materials. Does this seem about right. I appreciate the info.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a gallon of rooting hormone and use it according to the instructions. Do not apply fertilizer on new plantings.

As for the pricing, your labor sounds right. Make sure you include all your costs.

Make sure you include the time it will take to water the trees in well and apply that rooting hormone.

If you intend to warranty or guarantee these trees, then buy a couple extra and charge enough to cover yourself.

Do some research on planting and watering trees, because I have just thought about at least a half dozen mistakes that I have made planting trees, and do not have the time to type about right now.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What I do is this. I charge the client what the nursery does for retail, but I pay wholesale. So a $9 plant is usually $4.50 my cost. I then charge $35/MH for labor. I usually put 3-4 guys on a normal size install. I usually don't do the digging, but I am part of the equation so I charge for my time as well. Add in delivery/disposal fees as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2011, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
What I do is this. I charge the client what the nursery does for retail, but I pay wholesale. So a $9 plant is usually $4.50 my cost. I then charge $35/MH for labor. I usually put 3-4 guys on a normal size install. I usually don't do the digging, but I am part of the equation so I charge for my time as well. Add in delivery/disposal fees as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
OMG!
Someone who makes complete sense when they charge out the labor and man hours for landscaping.
In my area, I have heard all kinds of crazy mathematical schemes on planting.
I am really glad that you brought up and shared this with this forum. Now, if viewers read these threads they will understand the methods of installation.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
OMG!
Someone who makes complete sense when they charge out the labor and man hours for landscaping.
In my area, I have heard all kinds of crazy mathematical schemes on planting.
I am really glad that you brought up and shared this with this forum. Now, if viewers read these threads they will understand the methods of installation.
It is really easy fora client to see a 3 gal. whatever for $9 vs. $20. Even if that includes labor, why give someone a chance to think you are overpriced. Guys that say they charge $50-$60/MH are overpriced IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the help. I will do research on planting. I am not going to guarantee anything cause a lot of people are morons and will not do the proper maintenance and then blame me. But I offer cash and military discounts. I don't work for free so I think my price seems right. Thanks and if any more help that would be awesome.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by l&slawncare1990 View Post
Thanks for all the help. I will do research on planting. I am not going to guarantee anything cause a lot of people are morons and will not do the proper maintenance and then blame me. But I offer cash and military discounts. I don't work for free so I think my price seems right. Thanks and if any more help that would be awesome.
I don't agree with this, you need to offer a limited warranty of some kind. Put in writing that you won't warranty due to lack of water, pest, disease, etc but sometimes nursery material can be subpar or your guys may plant too deep.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
I don't agree with this, you need to offer a limited warranty of some kind. Put in writing that you won't warranty due to lack of water, pest, disease, etc but sometimes nursery material can be subpar or your guys may plant too deep.
Posted via Mobile Device

That sounds reasonable. I usually dont even write anything at all. What should a contract look like if any at all. If he pays cash I should not need anything