Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2011, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

User Name, I understand where you're coming from. I owned the business and didn't do things the way I should and I got sick of it in a year or two. Sold it and now I regret it.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 05-04-2011, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think most people feel like this sometimes...you just have to stick with it and it gets better...there are bad days at any job out there...i've never been happy with any job completely in my whole life...that's just work for you lol....but the freedoms that come with lawn care outweigh the bad days i have or whatever...some days you just wake up and don't feel like working but you have to anyways...that's just life...doesn't really matter what you are doing for a job....some days everything goes wrong and some days things go smoothly...sometimes you just have to step back and take a deep breath and stop worrying about everything and stop rushing to get things done and just relax and take your time and get done when you get done...that's how it becomes more enjoyable
Old 05-04-2011, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

getting more accounts

how did you market your business to get that many accounts in 5 years? Do you do them really cheap or what? I used to be on phone book but only got calls in areas I don't work, so I dropped that. I do put out fliers twice a year and get some work from those, and referrals come from time to time. But I am not getting 3-4 calls a day. It is me and my girlfriend that do the work, but I would like to gain a few more accounts.
Thanks
Old 05-04-2011, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just take one day at a time. Enjoy your youth because it is over way too soon. In 30 years you will say, I wish I could do it all over again. As mentioned earlier, Focus on the part of the business that you enjoy the most. Let someone else do the jobs that you enjoy the least. Hang in there because I am still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't mind the physical stuff (my back does though), I dislike people mostly, and the fact that the industry is getting worse everyday. People are shmucks, we've had rain everyday for the past 4 days yet people still call and say "why haven't you been here". Theres never any winning when dealing with people. And I hate that prices keep getting lower yet expenses are getting higher.

I don't know where I'm going with this business, been in it for 10 years and on my own for 6. I love working outside and it's honestly not hard work, but my back is messed up, I have some disease that causes the disks to collapse and my chiropractor keeps saying to get out before it gets worse, but at the same time I know alot of guys with employees and the headache looks like it outweighs the money.

I made the comment to a friend that has a company today. "Its funny how everyone wants to get into mowing, but all of us that are in mowing want to get out"
Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2006 View Post
I don't mind the physical stuff (my back does though), I dislike people mostly, and the fact that the industry is getting worse everyday. People are shmucks, we've had rain everyday for the past 4 days yet people still call and say "why haven't you been here". Theres never any winning when dealing with people. And I hate that prices keep getting lower yet expenses are getting higher.

I don't know where I'm going with this business, been in it for 10 years and on my own for 6. I love working outside and it's honestly not hard work, but my back is messed up, I have some disease that causes the disks to collapse and my chiropractor keeps saying to get out before it gets worse, but at the same time I know alot of guys with employees and the headache looks like it outweighs the money.

I made the comment to a friend that has a company today. "Its funny how everyone wants to get into mowing, but all of us that are in mowing want to get out"
Amen. We're 3 weeks behind from the rain!
I had a heart to heart talk today with a very good/ long time customer of mine, she is dying of terminal cancer, doctor estimates about a month for her to live. I was just bitchin about the weather and customers and.... While talking to her I realized I really dont have it so bad.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

username,

I really think what you are going through is normal. You have just graduated and are thinking about what you are going to do for the rest of your life. Possibly if you were doing something else (office job, maybe) you might be thinking the same thing. I know at your age I thought "am I really going to do this for the rest of my life"? It is what it is right now, with the emphasis on being right now. It will get better if you let it get better. If you are really fighting it everyday maybe, just maybe, you should do something else. I am not telling you to do something else. I understand you are frustrated but so are alot of other people in this world. LOL. Let me tell you this, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT JOB. Nothing is perfect, everything has its ups and downs, it is what life is all about. Please don't think I am putting you down by any means, I am just giving you my life experience's. Maybe, sit down and write a list of pros and cons about what you are doing now. Be totally honest with yourself, just don't make up cons if you want out, or pros if you want to stay. Don't make a snap decision, put careful thought into it. You will feel better about it in the long run.
Have any more questions just PM me.
Keep your chin up, always move forward and give the best you can of yourself. That way you will never regret it.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do understand. People are people. I do my best to ignore most of what comes out of their mouth's. The bad back, I have too but, not what you have. I do my best to keep on going. I am blessed with a full time job and this on the side. I have very few homes and they are older folks. After 16 years they have become friends and we over look each of our pit falls. Most of what I do is commercial accounts. Very few people to deal with. We do what they ask and, we bill monthly. I dropped a couple people this year just because of the way they acted. I do my best to eliminate the BS and to keep my life as simple as possible. I just told them nothing personal but, I was cutting back because I am getting older. Really I still enjoy doing what I am doing. I hope that what ever you decide that you end up being happy, healthy and, wise. Life is way to short not to be happy. Good Luck !!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've been at this p/t for the last three years and this year decided to go at it full time, I love the freedom and the knowing I can make it as big as I want to, I've not got a huge customer base yet but I work at it on a daily basis, I just keep plugging away, I have a P/T helper for the bigger stuff, large mulch jobs and such and a P/T office girl that mans the phone and helps with the paper work stuff,overall I'm much happier working for myself, even the stressfull stuff doesn't seem stressfull. As one of my favorite teachers always said "Always keep on keepin on"
Old 05-05-2011, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
I thought the thread title was the name of a new magazine.
Same here.