Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2011, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wonder if we could get our own reality show?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgann View Post
how did you market your business to get that many accounts in 5 years? Do you do them really cheap or what? I used to be on phone book but only got calls in areas I don't work, so I dropped that. I do put out fliers twice a year and get some work from those, and referrals come from time to time. But I am not getting 3-4 calls a day. It is me and my girlfriend that do the work, but I would like to gain a few more accounts.
Thanks
Thanks for everybody's advice, it means a lot. I've been looking at the whole business thing from a different perspective this week and it's been a lot better.

As for the marketing, I just use Google Places, Yahoo Small Business, and MANY free advertising websites. I will post on anything I possibly can. And remember to use keywords like Lawn Care, Lawn Maintenance, and especially use your location several times in the so you rank higher in Google. Also, referrals have helped me a lot. I'm cheaper than most and I do a decent job.

DO NOT pay Citysearch, Yellowpages, Whitepages, Orangepages for something you can do yourself. Especially when they charge $500/month like they wanted to charge me. When I had a consultation with a Citysearch Rep, she tried her little pitch and searched to see if my business was on Google, haha, little did she know that I knew the ropes, perhaps more than her.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Waiting on people to pay is the most annoying part of this business for me. Which is why I'll be going back to school this fall for my bachelor's. I look forward to the every two week paycheck
Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Some jobs have stress, some are dangerous, some take years of your life to qualify for, so on and so forth and all that jazz. I like it ok. More ups than downs most days.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Business is booming.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same dilema after I finished my schooling. A 4 year degree really doesn't do that much for you. So many people out there have business degrees as well. I told my mentor that I went to school so I did not have to get my hands dirty. He started laughing and said don't rule out any job. I went back to school for an advanced degree.

The job market is tough for college grads. In fact, especially for college grads. Do a google search to find out how many students are being handed a degree this year. You are competing with all these people and everyone else. Bottom line is you have experience.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

i'm alive. what I wanted to get done today is done. everything made it home in one piece. it was a beautiful day out. but when i started today it was cold. I hate being cold. I spent alot at the fuel pump, pumped it in the morning and watched it all dissappear thru the day. put alot of miles on my truck, hours on my mower. I hate all the wear and tear. and then some guy mother uckered me because he couldnt roll thru the stop sign. I listened to him as i reached for the pepper spray. watching him cry in pain would of made me smile but I drove away. the stress will kill him anyway but spraying him would of been funny as hell.
I hate the general public. I dont understand why you curse at me. I dont come to your job and curse at you. And women stop it w/ the finger. Somewhere U females have gotten the impression that its ok to flip us off. Its not. I am not sexest I will pepper spray you too.
but tomorrow I will do it all over again I love what I do and today was/is only what I made of it. I made it home alive w/ more money in my pocket then when I left. so today was a pretty good day
Old 05-05-2011, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Even when Iv had my worst day, either equipment break down or customers not working out, I go home and sleep on it. I wake up early next morning to put my headphones and and do my thing. Everything has its challenges, but I like being my own manager.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyredd99 View Post
i'm alive. what I wanted to get done today is done. everything made it home in one piece. it was a beautiful day out. but when i started today it was cold. I hate being cold. I spent alot at the fuel pump, pumped it in the morning and watched it all dissappear thru the day. put alot of miles on my truck, hours on my mower. I hate all the wear and tear. and then some guy mother uckered me because he couldnt roll thru the stop sign. I listened to him as i reached for the pepper spray. watching him cry in pain would of made me smile but I drove away. the stress will kill him anyway but spraying him would of been funny as hell.
I hate the general public. I dont understand why you curse at me. I dont come to your job and curse at you. And women stop it w/ the finger. Somewhere U females have gotten the impression that its ok to flip us off. Its not. I am not sexest I will pepper spray you too.
but tomorrow I will do it all over again I love what I do and today was/is only what I made of it. I made it home alive w/ more money in my pocket then when I left. so today was a pretty good day
Exactly, its the public that generally puts a damper on business as well. People are so rude nowadays. I thought I was the only one dealing with morons, and their outlandish requests.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcslawncare View Post
Even when Iv had my worst day, either equipment break down or customers not working out, I go home and sleep on it. I wake up early next morning to put my headphones and and do my thing. Everything has its challenges, but I like being my own manager.
And there you have it in a nutshell!