Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2011, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Xeripops with rotary nozzles?

Just wondering if anyone has tried RB Xeripops with either RBRs or MPs.

I know, I know... sounds like a weird DIY Frankenstein combo.

But... I think it might just work.

The problem: Landscape designer talked a prospective client into replanting areas w/o any consideration for irrigation. I'm looking for a solution that is least disruptive to the landscape.

Old broken irrigation system consist mostly of plastic Champion and Orbit heads and a mix of CL125 and CL200 pipe. Plan to scrap that system entirely, go with new valves, one brass ball valve each for the POC and Wilkins PRV each front and back yard, RB ASVF valves. Thinking of setting adjustable PRV to 40-50 PSI.

Typically have used RB's 5 ft or 8 ft heads with 6" Xeripops, usually in pocket beds of annuals in an otherwise drought tolerant landscape, i.e. separate valves but parallel laid out zones.

This site: no turf, all shrubs, groundcover and perennials beds.

I can go with up to 5 GPM with .700 poly drip tube, and up to .5 GPM through the 1/4" tubing/ inlet at the XP-600.

So if an MP-1000 uses .2 GPM for a Q and .37 GPM for an H, then why not try it? Also MP strips and corners as needed.

If it works I will post pics from my new smartphone.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

we want pics even if it fails
Old 05-03-2011, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds good in theory but my bet is that in the long run you'll end up having to properly re-install the irrigation anyhow. Best to just do it once, do it right and never have to do it again!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is a point where things don't work as perfectly as the specs. I remember setting up a special zone of sprays and bubblers on Rainbird 1800 heads, which were described at the time as having zero flow-by. It turned out that zero was not exactly the actual flow-by, and the mammoth zone had to be fed from two points, through two valves.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, flow-by is one of my concerns. I remember the last time I tried using Hunter SRS 6 inch bodies (years ago). Worked out fine on paper, but the pistons never sealed. Had to replace all with 1806s. Dumped the rest of my SRSs on a gardener friend and have never looked back.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Meanwhile, tried calling who I thought was my RB rep... stale info I guess.. someone else has his mobile number these days.

And Rain Bird has to have one of the worst frigging voice mails systems I have ever had to wade through.

Even their published tech support number for contractors tells you when it answers that it's a DIY number, then when you press 6 for contractor support it rings about 19 times and nobody answers. Yeah, tried that twice.

Finally got someone through distributor support who took a long time looking up a number for me. She clearly wasn't used to doing this. She gave me three names and then "connected" me to one of them. Went to voice mail anyway.

Is their a secret web page for looking up reps numbers? Or do they not publish them because they're afraid some other company will try to poach them?

Dan, do you have any unpublished rep numbers?
Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope. But I agree that their call center sucks ass. I will pass your experience along to somebody who I know that works there.....
Old 05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hunter Tech Support always answers the phone, and usually even has an intelligent answer.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterit View Post
Hunter Tech Support always answers the phone, and usually even has an intelligent answer.
yeah but Hunter Tech support hasn't been moved to Mexico either.... perhaps that's the real reason they cut out the remote jacks from their controllers
Old 05-03-2011, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
Is their a secret web page for looking up reps numbers? Or do they not publish them because they're afraid some other company will try to poach them?
I'm sending you a PM with a #. Tell him what's happening and say hello for me; we had Mex food sitting together at I.A. Hell of a nice guy.