Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2011, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why is it that The price of living is going up and the price of mowing is going down

I'm really truly thinking what my opinions are at this point, I was mowing at lease 70+ lawns a week in years past, But this year has flat out sucked got out 40k postcards again this year had at lease 40 calls I have about 55 lawns now, I have been hearing for the last 2 months someone else can do it less, I've downsized big time I'm only tying to work 4 days a week because of gas, Having a Lawn Biz in KC really sucks and with talking to other LCO I'm not alone
36' Wright Stander
32' Wright Stander
Redmax Blowers
Shindawia Trimmers
Old 05-04-2011, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing worth doing is easy! Hang in there and yes you are right we are doing lawns for the same exact pricing that we where charging five years ago. It is not pretty out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2011, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it has to do with the way the economy is right now. Things are rough. People are either unemployed and trying to make ends meet or underemployed and trying to supplement their income.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowHouston View Post
I think it has to do with the way the economy is right now. Things are rough. People are either unemployed and trying to make ends meet or underemployed and trying to supplement their income.
Yep I said it in another post, "We're still in a recession"
Old 05-04-2011, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey man... you have to sell yourself. Maybe someone can do it cheaper but can you do it better? What do you have to offer that they don't? You need to gain peoples respect. Get in front of them face to face to give them your quote. Look them in the eye when you talk to them. Shake their hand. Thank them for their time etc.

I raised all of my customers this year and lost 4% of them. The 4% who were a pain in my butt anyway. The raises I gave the other customers will almost cover the ones I lost.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2011, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah you guys are all right I just thought after all these years of living high on the hog I thought that things would go up not down
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
Hey man... you have to sell yourself. Maybe someone can do it cheaper but can you do it better? What do you have to offer that they don't? You need to gain peoples respect. Get in front of them face to face to give them your quote. Look them in the eye when you talk to them. Shake their hand. Thank them for their time etc.

I raised all of my customers this year and lost 4% of them. The 4% who were a pain in my butt anyway. The raises I gave the other customers will almost cover the ones I lost.
I agree, I love meeting and talking face to face with my customers, which wasn't always the case, but I finally realized how important it is. Especially with new ones. I always look professional when going out to give quotes, it's just the image I want to portray, not just some lawn jockey cutting grass.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING View Post
Nothing worth doing is easy! Hang in there and yes you are right we are doing lawns for the same exact pricing that we where charging five years ago. It is not pretty out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Try the same pricing for the last 20 years!!! The great part is when a person wants you to lower their price....I love the logic!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No loyalty. No more knowing who you know or knows you in high places. Economy is maybe part of it but if thats the case then where do these people come up with $1000 - $10K to go out and buy a mower, let alone a trailer - being there using the buick or min van to pulll it around.

I have had a large mowing contract - we were told to continue in March - fert program, landscape weeding, etc spraying, sweeping, paint striping - get an email they found someone else for the mowing. Lost a large cemetary - guy with $1000 craftsman and 38 inch deck - he started last week friday and mowed everyday last week (friday, sat, sun, mon, tues, wed,) he finished today. Go figure.

Price rules. large acres parks - $12-$15 / acre. Diesel is what???????