Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2011, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Member

need some opinions

I have a lot of sandstone rock on my property with trees and brush everywhere. Its like I live in the mountains. I put a beaver blade on my 130r and cleared a good chunk of the brush, weeds and small trees from an area I wanted to clear. I can not mow the area because of the boulders and rock but was thinking of planting some sort of ground cover that would over time choke the weeds out and look better. Its a mess right now but what would you guys recommend? The funny thing is I was at atwoods the other day and noticed they sold small pallets of the sandstone for $300. I would let people fill their truck bed up for less than that to get some of it gone. I have 7 acres full of that stuff. Some are even too big for a regular truck to haul. I want to use some of the really big ones to line the driveway but don't have a way to move them around right now. Do you think a 4x4 atv with a winch could do it or do you think the atv would just slide forward. I would use my truck if I could get to them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-05-2011, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You'll definately need something that outweighs the rock, if your using tires. Try a skidster, that's what they're for... But they will make a mess of your area.... Anyone have draft horses or oxen in your area?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am thinking if you cannot mow--it will eventually revert to tall weeds and brush. Maybe a few hundred sheep or goats would keep it in check.
A skid-steer with forks to get under the rocks sounds like a good bet.

Or...you can plant sone kind of grass (like tall fescue) spray it with a back pack sprayer once or twice per year. Then you would have grass but no weeds or brush. Tall grass.

Line your driveway with something easier--how about plastic christmas trees? Or real ones.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If I was able to get them up and moving then they would be moved out of my sight, and would not want them near the house to have to trim around every week.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Creeping red might work for your situation. As riggle mentions you will have to spray. Rocks are great additions to a mulched bed if you can move them. Would also be a great place for an awesome water feature considering there is plenty of material lying around. Put it to use!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2011, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah I have been wanting to use them for a while I just don't have the equipment to do what I want just yet. I am about 30 minutes outside of tulsa by keystone lake. I may just spray killzall for now and try to get some grass to come in next year. I am just tired of dealing with the thick brush all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device