Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2011, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
the real truth to all of this is this business is a joke. really, its a business that every year new people or people collecting unemployment jump into to make some quick extra bucks and do nothing legal and just take all the lawns.. i dont care what anyone says on here, come to my area and try it out. cutting grass is like the second biggest thing i learned to do in life right behind riding a bike. anyone can do it unless they are in poor health. posts on here are people saying all the time, a dealer 25 miles from me will sell me this model mower for $7000.00 but the dealer you usually go to wants $7400.00 i guarntee you will all either buy from the $7000.00 dealer or beg your dealer to do it for same price and once he does than you will buy from him. none of you would say ah its 400.00 more to stay with my dealer that i deal with for years, you want that same 7000.00 price or your buying from other dealer. all you people who jump on your high horse and say no way i would not are going thru life lieing to yourself or smoke crack..
so high horse people, just let your customers get price quotes from 3 other local companys and see if one they saty with you or ask you well company x will do this lawn for half the price you are charging me so please either lower my price or im going with them... there is a reason wal mart's are packed and k mart's look like a ghost town
Well said dude!!!.... Where are the guys with the "but thats different because thats not my business" argument
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
NOT REALLY...what limits you is when your schedule is full and no time for new accts and you find yourself turning down possibly better accts. because you pretty much took everything and anything along the way....
That is why you always have another LCO friend or part time LCO. You can pass things on to them and take advantage of better jobs. It happened to me with my friend, I considered it helping me out and not passing me garbage. I will do the same to a friend or anyone else I know that is struggling or trying to start up and get the ball rolling.

Or you could just simply let them go and jump on the better job.
RedMax Trimmer
RedMax Hedge Trimmers
5x8 tilt trailer
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Missis...e/151402474671
Old 05-07-2011, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For years on here now. Every time I hear "I won't drop my gate for xxx or I won't get out of bed for xxx". All I think is there must be a lot of well rested guys and slightly used equipment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2011, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
sweet, i just learned something. i learned i have no idea what i'm talking about

my min. is $25 and that has nothing to do with what side of town it's on or what equipment gets loaded and unloaded.

my price per cut is strictly based off the size of the property, how much trimming is included, how much edging is included and how much clean up.

i can have one lawn thats $25 a week and 5 min. drive time and another lawn that is $25 with 15 min. drive time if i wanted.

i run a route and place clients accordingly but there location doesn't affect my price per cut.
You are just learning that now...I have been telling you that for years
Old 05-07-2011, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadRancher View Post
Well said dude!!!.... Where are the guys with the "but thats different because thats not my business" argument

That is why you always have another LCO friend or part time LCO. You can pass things on to them and take advantage of better jobs. It happened to me with my friend, I considered it helping me out and not passing me garbage. I will do the same to a friend or anyone else I know that is struggling or trying to start up and get the ball rolling.

Or you could just simply let them go and jump on the better job.
thank you.... its the truth, sure customers will pay a couple bucks more for some people but not double for people. if you do a lawn and then a neighbor says hay, how much to cut my 10 by 10 lawn, if you tell them $30.00 a cut and trying to say thats what you charge them your full of $hit. you would say $10.00 and thats the truth.. next if a customer calls and has a 10 by 10 lawn and they are like a 5 mile out of the way lawn to get to, if you dont just say to them look, you are way to far for this amount of grass for what i will have to charge you then you are a a$$ and not a good person
Old 05-07-2011, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Good morning Prostreetcamaro, No we don't have any mexicans where i live that does lawn care business. Yes i don't charge less than $50.00 do any lawn care work. I have been in business for twenty years and i have seen alot of guys around here that do a lawn for 20.00 and most of the work looks like crap. Here one summer gone the next year.But now these people is starting to see what we do and we do more business in this area than anyone else. Yes it is alot of BS on this site. I am sorry for u guys that have alot of mexicans around your area. That why alot of mexican are doing lawn care work and not paying taxes like me.I will let them know up front what they get for this price. If they don't want it then i will move on. I do 80 lawns a week with me and two full time workers. I bid on a job and most of the time i get it and if i don't someone else calling me to bid on their lawn.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
Threads like this make me laugh at all the BS I read. Some of you must live in areas that have no hispanics. Take D&F for example. You quote $50 for anything less than an acre around here and the person will likely laugh in your face and say thats fine I will just get Julio 2 houses down to do it for $25. We have big companys doing average size lawns for $20 and these are large outfits and not some guy with home depot equipment driving a 20 year old truck. Guys are doing an acre for $40 to $50 and each additional acre is another $35.
Well, thank God that i don't live in your area. I have been in business for twenty years. I first mower was a snapper with a 32 in cut use. But now i own four exmark mowers. This what wrong with this country everyone wants something for nothing. I am a big company and i do lose new clients because of my price. I am not going to drop my price because other people are doing it cheaper. You always get what u pay for. One of my biggest job other day got a new bid and it was lower than me. They ask me do drop my price. I refuse to drop my price and but i told them i was not going up on them. Guess what i got the job for another two years. I hope these mexicans are paying taxes like me and you.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&F lawnmaster View Post
Well, thank God that i don't live in your area. I have been in business for twenty years. I first mower was a snapper with a 32 in cut use. But now i own four exmark mowers. This what wrong with this country everyone wants something for nothing. I am a big company and i do lose new clients because of my price. I am not going to drop my price because other people are doing it cheaper. You always get what u pay for. One of my biggest job other day got a new bid and it was lower than me. They ask me do drop my price. I refuse to drop my price and but i told them i was not going up on them. Guess what i got the job for another two years. I hope these mexicans are paying taxes like me and you.
You are full of it. Median house hold income is 33,260 in your "area". Are you mowing 3 acres for 50. lol. Median income in my area is over 100,000 and no one around here is paying anything near that.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing less than 25. That's only based on size (ie postage stamp lawn).
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 05-07-2011, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&F lawnmaster View Post
Good morning Prostreetcamaro, No we don't have any mexicans where i live that does lawn care business. Yes i don't charge less than $50.00 do any lawn care work. I have been in business for twenty years and i have seen alot of guys around here that do a lawn for 20.00 and most of the work looks like crap. Here one summer gone the next year.But now these people is starting to see what we do and we do more business in this area than anyone else. Yes it is alot of BS on this site. I am sorry for u guys that have alot of mexicans around your area. That why alot of mexican are doing lawn care work and not paying taxes like me.I will let them know up front what they get for this price. If they don't want it then i will move on. I do 80 lawns a week with me and two full time workers. I bid on a job and most of the time i get it and if i don't someone else calling me to bid on their lawn.
you get what you pay for????? really? so if i buy a case of coca cola 24 can 12oz at wal mart for $5.38 i would get more buying the same coca cola 24 can 12oz at food store for $7.49??? wow and i thought it was the same but just $2.11 cheaper.
next the mexicans near me stripe a lawn and do great looking work, its grass not nothing hard about cutting it thats why you see 7 year olds cutting there lawns
Old 05-07-2011, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm confused, too. You're kinda bragging about how much you get for your cheapest lawn.......and on the other hand saying you get almost every bid you submit.

Those two don't add up.