Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2011, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Milo-
Whose side are you on? If this business is such a joke why are you in it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2011, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I have to give a estimate on a small lawn today, I will be in and out in 10min. What would you charge?
Price check or helpful advice?

If you discount a $25.00 job to $15.00 to gain foothold in a neighborhood then $15.00 just became the new competitive market price. (My last guy did it for $15.00).

A lot of the Mexican work I see looks pretty good and they’re friendly enough. Around here it’s the locals who drive the price down….aka…offer competitive pricing.

You can charge more for a cold drink (soda up north) but it depends.
What if they are out of stock half the time?
Are they cold or hot?
Banged up?
Slime on the cans for some reason?
Is the store located where I will get mugged?
Is the owner friendly, polite, etc?
How far do I need to drive?
Etc and so forth.

Yes, the low priced guy will cut all the economy customers out of the heard. I can live with that.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love reading about these guys who charge more money for a cut always make fun of the quality of work for guys who charge less. Just because you charge 50 instead of 20 does not mean your yard automatically looks better.

Same thing with guys making fun of guys with Craftsman or Home Depot mowers. Their work is always horrible and lacks quality since they don't use a Scag, Husky, Exmark. etc. I cut my yard with a 10 year old Craftsman on occasion and it looks wonderful. My neighbor uses 12-13 year old Garden Way and it has a better cut than my expensive John Deere.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok Will your changing your story. Do you cut with a Craftsman or a John Deere? Do you charge 20 or 50. Or does your neighbor cut your grass?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2011, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Milo-
Whose side are you on? If this business is such a joke why are you in it?
Posted via Mobile Device
im on no side, this business sucks and no one on here can say the lowest they charge for a 10 by 10 lawn is $30.00 minium and win that bid. even bill gates would not pay a guy $30.00 to cut a 10 by 10 spot of grass and hes worth billions...
my point is this, yes alot of people have loyal customers they cut every week and done so for many many years and over time with price increases they even pay more than they would if they hired a new person but they like you and the service you give them so they stay with you but, if your on here claiming $30.00 for a 10 by 10 lawn and you get those accounts you either lie your a$$ off about getting them or you are totally screwing people.. im one to believe in carma so if you are you will see one day... and till someone shows me this tiny lawn that they get $30.00 for for 4 minutes work i just have to say BULL $HIT
Old 05-07-2011, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

cheapest I would go, FREE. Member of GreenCare for Troops. Last year, two clients and this year just one so far. Last years client both active duty spouse came home safely.
2 BP blowers
3 trimmers
1 multi tool w/ hedge trimmer and edger attachment
2 shovels
1 rake
1 broom (worn out needs replacement soon)
Old 05-07-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

$35 minimum for WEEKLY service. Yes I have turned down about 6 accounts this year wanting EOW. Ain't doin em. One lady even told me her hsband had just fertilized the lawn that weekend and she wanted it mowed EOW..ROFL. these tightwads kill me. Let Joe Bob down the street working for beer money have em. I have my hands full with good accounts that appreciate SERVICE.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGMADE View Post
You are full of it. Median house hold income is 33,260 in your "area". Are you mowing 3 acres for 50. lol. Median income in my area is over 100,000 and no one around here is paying anything near that.
You are right about income in my area, but i do not cut to many lawns for this type of income. I don't cut lawns for poor people, ninety percent of my clients have 100,000.00 to 1.5 million dollars home and commerical lawns is bigger than all of your lawns put together. You guys that are charging so low for lawn care work how do you make any money in this business. Oh I know you work just to put food on the table,,LOL, Alright guys if you continue to work for nothing go ahead and i will continue to charge what i do. I like to make money and you guys don't. I think most of you guys are such so damn jealous about a old country boy kicking your butt in this country. Alot of you guys are full of BS
Old 05-08-2011, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&F lawnmaster View Post
You are right about income in my area, but i do not cut to many lawns for this type of income. I don't cut lawns for poor people, ninety percent of my clients have 100,000.00 to 1.5 million dollars home and commerical lawns is bigger than all of your lawns put together. You guys that are charging so low for lawn care work how do you make any money in this business. Oh I know you work just to put food on the table,,LOL, Alright guys if you continue to work for nothing go ahead and i will continue to charge what i do. I like to make money and you guys don't. I think most of you guys are such so damn jealous about a old country boy kicking your butt in this country. Alot of you guys are full of BS
Yes my minimum is lower than yours but many of those $35 lawns are 7k sq ft or less. Thursdays I do 16 of those SOLO in 9 hours. Yet on Friday I mow 4 lawns in 9 hours that AVERAGE just over $150 each. I live out in a rural area and drive into the metro areas.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatop View Post
cheapest I would go, FREE. Member of GreenCare for Troops. Last year, two clients and this year just one so far. Last years client both active duty spouse came home safely.
Do our troops not get paid enough to have their lawns cut?