Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2011, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

New construction turf issues Central florida

Hello

I am having some turf issues in central florida and think its narrowed down to a construction Issue. The soil in the problem area is very hard compared to the rest of the yard. I can hardly push a pencil through the soil. The grass is yellowing in this area as seen in this thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=350242
Whats the best way to remedy this problem? Can I spread top soil over the turf and allow it to grow up through the soil? Or some type of areation and how would this be done. Please see the soil analysis in this thread aw well
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am leaning with Patriot from the other thread. From your description it sounds like it is very compacted. It is rare that I see lawns that are really compacted here, but when I have, the SA struggles to grow and is sparse and does not spread as it appears in the photo. I am thinking Verticut and top dress is the option I would try first. As someone in the other thread stated, I got a feeling you got a truck load of bad fill in that area if the soil is really that hard.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

what height are you cutting on and why scotts?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Again, can you tell us anything about where that trucked in soil came from?

Clay type soil can compact that tightly but I don't know about the typical calcium content in it. I'm thinking a sod tear out and till a lot of OM into it and then test again. Like I said in the previous post, other concern areas also need to be looked at. Aeration may not be enough. Any idea what the soil profile looks like? Has a probe test been done?
Old 05-06-2011, 06:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if you can core areate and apply a granular bolster fert
Old 05-06-2011, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
Again, can you tell us anything about where that trucked in soil came from?

Clay type soil can compact that tightly but I don't know about the typical calcium content in it. I'm thinking a sod tear out and till a lot of OM into it and then test again. Like I said in the previous post, other concern areas also need to be looked at. Aeration may not be enough. Any idea what the soil profile looks like? Has a probe test been done?
Yea, looks like that may be the answer. I dont know where the fill came from I guess there could be 100's of reasons.

I'm going to follow UF recomendations and apply potassium and phosphate via lesco 8-10-10 ornamental fertilizer. It also has sulphate to bring the ph down and iron. Anything wrong with using an ornamental fertilizer on lawns? It seems to have exactly what I need in it according to my soil sample. If that docent work over the next few months I'll tear it up and replant in september.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2011, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redspot321 View Post
Yea, looks like that may be the answer. I dont know where the fill came from I guess there could be 100's of reasons.

I'm going to follow UF recomendations and apply potassium and phosphate via lesco 8-10-10 ornamental fertilizer. It also has sulphate to bring the ph down and iron. Anything wrong with using an ornamental fertilizer on lawns? It seems to have exactly what I need in it according to my soil sample. If that docent work over the next few months I'll tear it up and replant in september.
Posted via Mobile Device
The sulfate in the fert wont drop the pH.
I would core aerify, topdress with sand and mostly organic mix,
add milorganite or something similar, elemental sulfur,0-0-22
If that doesnt work,Then do plan B
Old 05-06-2011, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They probably used a bulldozer to prep that lot. And that is a construction issue. aerify,aerify,aerify.