Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Everyone wanting mowed on Thursdays or Fridays...

This season has been the worst for people requesting to be mowed on Thursdays or Fridays. I have tried to advise them that I can't drive 30 mins every week just to do their yard when I am mowing other properties in the same area a different day of the week. Even if I could it would rain one week and they would end up getting pushed to Monday or something. How does everyone else handle these requests?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

We provide discounts for mondays and tuesday being the scheduled day. I find a lot of people want there grass cut on thursday and friday so they look good on the weekend.

When doing a quote we offer a discount right away. Having them pay more for the highest demand days changes the way they talk to us about what day they get cut on.

Also, for the price conscious people they appreciate paying less.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I wouldn't discount them to be cut earlier in the week. My costs are what they are.
If they are booking later in the season, they have to fit into what room is left in the schedule. Otherwise, your costs go up and you and your employees end up working later and you have to pay more expenses.

When you cut clients earlier in the week is it possible to cut them one increment shorter, so that it appears shorter on the weekend?

Perhaps this could lead to more weed control income too

If you do have employees, are they allowed to legally work four ten hour days per week?
Here, we can do that but only if we have a signed agreement stipulating how long the
four day weeks will last. ie: March-Nov.

We can't normally work more than an eight hour day and forty hours per week here, without paying overtime unless we have the written agreement. Overtime applies in this case after ten hours a day or forty hours per week.

My thought is, if you can work the ten hour day can you also squeeze more money out of the clients for a premium day cutting position?

You can present to them that your expenses are higher to cut on the premium days that every-one wants.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My routes are set and the only way I will brake routing, is for a premium price. I have 1 customer that pays $25 extra a week for us to cut on Thursday. When I get a call from someone that wants service, I tell them what my minimum price is. If they are still interested, I find out where they live and tell them at that point what day they will be mowed on. If they don't like ........ NEXT!
There are lots more fish in the sea.

James
Old 05-07-2011, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah my customers are the same. I try to do as many as I can Wed, Thurs, and Fri so their lawns still look good for the weekend. On Mondays and Tuesdays I service all the customers who could care less about when it is done and do other stuff like mulching, landscaping, hedge/shrub/tree trimming, fertilizing, etc.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats why a mix of commercial (at the right price) can be an important part of your mix. Commercials can be cut sat,sun Mon, tue,..etc. Adds a lot of flexibility to your book.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

we run a full 8 day rotation during the summer.....no one gets cut on the same day each week....if you get cut this week on monday...then next week it will be tuesday....next wed. and so on....we can fit more accts into our route and also keep pricing to a minimum...it take a little longer to build up a clientel that will accept this scheduling, but it is worth it in the long run....and we almost never cut on saturdays and absolutley never on a sunday...EVER!!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
we run a full 8 day rotation during the summer.....no one gets cut on the same day each week....if you get cut this week on monday...then next week it will be tuesday....next wed. and so on....we can fit more accts into our route and also keep pricing to a minimum...it take a little longer to build up a clientel that will accept this scheduling, but it is worth it in the long run....and we almost never cut on saturdays and absolutley never on a sunday...EVER!!
Interesting! I only mow Wed - Friday (Saturday if I need to) so most customers are fine with when I come. Almost all of my high end accounts are within a few miles of eachother and on the same route and those get cut on Thursday. The others might get cut on Wednesday or Friday, depending on how things work out, but my Thursday ones almost always get done on Thursday. If it rains on Wednesday and I can't mow, I still do my Thursday route on shedule and my Wednesday route gets bumped to Friday.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Interesting! I only mow Wed - Friday (Saturday if I need to) so most customers are fine with when I come. Almost all of my high end accounts are within a few miles of eachother and on the same route and those get cut on Thursday. The others might get cut on Wednesday or Friday, depending on how things work out, but my Thursday ones almost always get done on Thursday. If it rains on Wednesday and I can't mow, I still do my Thursday route on shedule and my Wednesday route gets bumped to Friday.
let me say, this is with average accts. not high end..we have 3 rigs of 3 ppl on each.......one does all commercial and one does all the high end......and one is doing the 8 day rotation....surprisingly the 8 day schedule and route has been more profitable consistantly for the last 3 yrs.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I make more off my tiny accounts but boy do I love my high ends. Less people to deal with and most of mine pay well and most accept the price quoted without any haggle. We mow Wednesday through Friday. Leaves Mondays Tuesdays open for big jobs or advertising. Never worked a Sunday.