Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2011, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

trimmer bump feeders

Been running stihl trimmers forever. The bump head always works for a few weeks and then it wears down and all the holes show up. It then fills up with dirt and won't compress to feed string.

Anyone found and good way to handle this or do you just replace the bump every few weeks?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you dragging it on concrete when edging? It shouldn't be wearing that fast, and barely gets scratched from just bump feeding (even on concrete).
I saw a tip from another thread about glueing a steel washer to the cap to keep it from wearing out if you need a solution that doesn't change your trimming style.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I've had a bump head for yrs and never had this problem, so I doubt its a defective issue but rather a user issue (?)
Old 05-05-2011, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The bump head should not be wearing out that fast. I like the idea of glueing a washer on the bumper to make it last longer. When the bumper wears out, make sure you buy just the spool with the bumper and not the entire head. The spools are not that expensive.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Been running stihl trimmers forever. The bump head always works for a few weeks and then it wears down and all the holes show up. It then fills up with dirt and won't compress to feed string.

Anyone found and good way to handle this or do you just replace the bump every few weeks?
YEP WHEN I was running stihls a lot I was getting about a month out of the heads my guys would run them right on the ground! I HAD TO BUY SPOOLS AND COVERS BUYS THE BAG!

Fix no joke! I drilled the middle of the spool then put a small carriage bolt and nut with washers to save the spool and cover plate. I saved a bunch of money. The bolt head would wear out in a bout 2 months!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't see how you guys wear them out that fast. I run mine on the ground and have never had a problem in two years with the Stihl. Now I don't run it on concrete or asphalt which is the only way I would think it would wear that fast.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Down her in the south we mow a lot of warm season grasses that like to be mowed short. So a lot of the time I put the head right on the ground when trimming. Once the bump wears down it will collect dirt.

Not really that big of a deal. Its been wet down here and the mud collects pretty fast.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Trash it put a Stihl poly 30 or 40 head on it last you 1.5 yrs ore more
Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Try the speed feed head that shini's have grass. They are flat and do not have a bump like the stihl. They make a kit that retros them to the stihl. I do like the bolt idea, but why the hell should I have to geri rig something, should stihl not make them right for the price they charge for them?
To whoever said just buy the spool, not sure what you are buying them for, but here, it cost me only a few dollars more to buy the complete head at my dealer. It is worth it even if I dont need it for a few dollars - I just throw it in the parts box and grab one when needed then, unfortunatly the bump gets worn out way quicker.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Same here on the fast wear. Run through a spool every 2 months per trimmer. I am fixing to replace mine this week and will snag the carriage bolt and washer ideas.
Posted via Mobile Device