Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-24-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I need to make a decision on a mower!

I've posted several of threads on john deere tractors, but now I've found I really want. It's a john deere 318, and it's in great shape. I'm pretty small, I only mow about 35 yards, so I really don't have the money to invest in a 6000$ zero turn. The thing that worries me about the tractor is that it's got 1200 hours, which is a lot. I've experienced, and heard that these engines crap out around 1500 to 1700 hours. Here is what the ad says

All original John Deere 318 with 1200 hrs. Cheaper John Deeres can be had but I won't take less for this one. Thank You for looking. If you are from out of the area I'll be happy to send more pictures and or video upon request.

Here's some pics of it.
http://s1007.photobucket.com/albums/...20Deere%20318/

Really what i'm wondering is if this thing could take several more years of semi commercial use? If i'm going to spend 2500$ I need it to last. There is also a snow blower that's for sale that would be nice to get. Would it be a good investment to get this thing? Tell me what you guys think.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

If your looking to spend $2500 I would look at a homeowner zero turn like a Toro. Can find a used one for less than $2500 on craigslist...
Old 10-24-2011, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

You can also find used commercial units on there.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pass on this unit. is to high and for what you purpose is. Will not be efficient, thus costing you $$$$ ..I just purchased a cub cadet TANK. M72. for $3000...900hrs. was just serviced in august by dealer.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer sold it the first week of September....2011 to the LCO i purchased it from for $4800....I picked it up because they were hard up for cash. Then went and mowed 7 acres with it.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borwicks View Post
Pass on this unit. is to high and for what you purpose is. Will not be efficient, thus costing you $$$$ ..I just purchased a cub cadet TANK. M72. for $3000...900hrs. was just serviced in august by dealer.
Sorry, never buying cub cadet again. One bad experience is enough for me.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There are used commercial mowers all over craigslist around that price. Did a quick search and found this one in 2 minutes.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/grd/2664480895.html
Old 10-24-2011, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First, while it has some minor wear to it that can be seen in the pics, that tractor has been repainted at least once at some point in its life. Second, that's way too much money for 1200 hours. I see them here regularly with lower hours, original paint, and in excellent condition for under $2000, and usually a lot less than that.

I disagree that you can't be productive on it, but like I told you in one of your other threads, it is really short on leg room, especially for all day work, so you may get much more fatigued at the end of the day. The hand hydro lever isn't the best thing for day in-day out LCO work either.

Personally, I'd pass without thinking twice about it.