search sponsored by:
Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-25-2015, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member
2 questions: Sulky for BD 48" WB, and Discharge question

OK I would do two posts, but I figure lets kill 2 birds with one err... post?>

1: I have a 48" Bobcat walkbehind belt drive... I love it. Its great... I'm looking at getting a sulky for my 215lb self... Two options Jungle Wheels 2 wheel, or Havener Enterprises Swivel Sulky. I'm reading a lot of conflicting posts on whether or not a non-hydro mower can handle the fixed extension 2 wheel swivlers like the Bull rider and the Havener.

I assume it has something to do with the turns and inertia that is built up.
I like it becausae it seems like it would be easier to reverse the mower with the swivel, but if I can accomplish the same thing by just getting off the jungle wheels and getting back on then I'd do that.

2: I am currently running a full mulch kit with baffles, blades and block off plate. I was thinking about taking the plate off and side discharging any excess. Why? I feel like the mulch blades leave a lot of stringers even in 2nd gear some times. If I take off the plate it might help a bit?

My lawn is patchy in some areas and thick in others. Stringers seem to be more prevelent in the thin spots. I scrape my deck regularly and have sharpened my blades 2 times this year (once at the beginning and once a week ago) I need to check deck pitch, but I think i'm running 1/4" but am still getting a little bit of blow out with the mulch kit.

Just trying to get best performance for my machine and lawn. Always looking for suggestions from you pros, seeing as I'm just a general homeowner.