Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2011, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Prepping my equipment for the new season - riding lawn mower, walk behind and trimmer

I'm going to be making my first cut for the season within the next week, and I need the more knowledgable (read: everyone) members' advice on how to prepare my equipment for the season.

I'll list some info about each piece of equipment.
Toro LX466 riding mower:
-3rd season
-serviced last summer (oil and filter change, new battery, blades sharpened, air filter changed, greased)
-self-winterized at the end of last season (removed, charged battery and stored indoors; fuel stabilizer added to full tank and ran through lines; left oil in mower; tires separated from concrete by cardboard)

Briggs walk-behind:
-old (ten years?)
-carb serviced 5(?) years ago
-blade sharpened last year
-didn't do anything to winterize

Echo straight shaft 2 stroke trimmer:
-2 years old
-winterized according to Echo (drained gas, oiled cylinder, left cylinder at top of stroke)

Some more general questions for the forum members:

Is the gas (straight and mixed) from last year good or should I dispose of it? If I need to dispose the gas, can it be used in my cars?

Is it too late to overseed the lawn? I'm in Ontario and the nights are still dropping to mid single digits in Celsius, ~ 35-40F.

Any other helpful suggestions for a great cutting season are welcome.

Thanks!!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

additional to above

I should have added that I'm not the most mechanically inclined and have only a basic arsenal of tools/equipment, so any recommendations that are better off in the hands of a small motor mechanic, please indicate.

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2011, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkd View Post
I'm going to be making my first cut for the season within the next week, and I need the more knowledgable (read: everyone) members' advice on how to prepare my equipment for the season.

I'll list some info about each piece of equipment.
Toro LX466 riding mower:
-3rd season
-serviced last summer (oil and filter change, new battery, blades sharpened, air filter changed, greased)
-self-winterized at the end of last season (removed, charged battery and stored indoors; fuel stabilizer added to full tank and ran through lines; left oil in mower; tires separated from concrete by cardboard)

Briggs walk-behind:
-old (ten years?)
-carb serviced 5(?) years ago
-blade sharpened last year
-didn't do anything to winterize

Echo straight shaft 2 stroke trimmer:
-2 years old
-winterized according to Echo (drained gas, oiled cylinder, left cylinder at top of stroke)

Some more general questions for the forum members:

Is the gas (straight and mixed) from last year good or should I dispose of it? If I need to dispose the gas, can it be used in my cars?

Is it too late to overseed the lawn? I'm in Ontario and the nights are still dropping to mid single digits in Celsius, ~ 35-40F.

Any other helpful suggestions for a great cutting season are welcome.

Thanks!!
Well I know with my old gas left over, I fill up my machine with fresh gas in the beginning of the season and after I use a half a tank, I add the old gas. I have never had a problem, I just freshen it up with new gas. I don't do this all this time, but If I have some premix from the fall, I just use it up. My machines are only down for about 3 months tops, so gas does not really go that long, plus I run the blower all year long, so I really never have to much left over anymore. I also just dump any strait gas in the truck or in the quads at the end of the season, but mainly the truck, it is the best way I have found to use it up!

As far as overseading, you may have time, You just want to beat the heat of the summer, you don't want any young grass to fry up in the summer heat, so if you think that it will not be hot for the next month or two, you may have time!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 05-06-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Well I know with my old gas left over, I fill up my machine with fresh gas in the beginning of the season and after I use a half a tank, I add the old gas. I have never had a problem, I just freshen it up with new gas. I don't do this all this time, but If I have some premix from the fall, I just use it up. My machines are only down for about 3 months tops, so gas does not really go that long.
Thanks, CE. My last cut was in early to mid-november, so maybe I'll add the old gas when the tank's at 3/4.

Any suggestions regarding prepping my equipment?

Thanks, parkd
Old 05-06-2011, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkd View Post
Thanks, CE. My last cut was in early to mid-november, so maybe I'll add the old gas when the tank's at 3/4.

Any suggestions regarding prepping my equipment?

Thanks, parkd
I usually cut my yard quite a few time before I tune it up. But when I do, I change the fuel filters, spark plugs, I then change the oil and air filters and do again next year! I know with my echos, (Blower and Trimmer) they sell a kit at Home Depot, it is a tune up kit and I do that every other year. Just the basics, oil, fuel filters and air filters. You can also check your tire pressure!
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own