Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-30-2011, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone know how to keep your feet dry while wearing your rubber spray boots?

Hello,

I need help and would like any suggestions from fellow experienced lawn applicators.

I have found that when I wear my "Brown Bear" boots from Gempler's my feet are always in a wet/sweaty state. Regardless of brand, it's a rubber boot thing.

http://www.gemplers.com/search/brown+bear+boots

I know this is probably something I should keep to myself, but I really need to find a better way to keep my feet dry/comfortable so I can extend my workable field time, less skin irritation, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Joe
Old 06-30-2011, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Take this with a grain of salt......but....

I'm an AVID traditional bowhunter. Early-season temps, here in NC, can see me going afield with temps well into the 80's. I've tried Lacrosse alpha burly (I most always wear rubber boots), uninsulated. Sweaty feet.

I bought a pair of Muck's and ended that. I "think" the ones I have now are called "woody max". You can even roll the upper down, when you want/can.

Like I said, this may be of no use to you (I'm not sure how they're "rated" for chemical apps.).
Old 06-30-2011, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I will admit that I don't know much about rubber boots, but I sure know about sweaty feet. I get that way wearing sneakers, sandals, anything. Doesn't matter if it breathes or not. Maybe I should have kept that to myself too.

Anyway, my suggestion would be to first try an anti-perspirant spray. Maybe in combination with a foot powder that has lots of zinc-oxide (gold bond comes to mind).
Old 06-30-2011, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, I will try the spray or powder and see what happens.

I wish there was a rubber boot that had a elevated sole to retain/drain sweat to. Maybe a few slots for ice packs, ventilation, etc.

Thank you very much!

Joe
Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Well, I will admit that I don't know much about rubber boots, but I sure know about sweaty feet. I get that way wearing sneakers, sandals, anything. Doesn't matter if it breathes or not. Maybe I should have kept that to myself too.

Anyway, my suggestion would be to first try an anti-perspirant spray. Maybe in combination with a foot powder that has lots of zinc-oxide (gold bond comes to mind).
Chicago

I think you have a common problem that many of us share.

Try Food Grade Corn Starch. I use Argo Corn Starch from the Super Market. It might not stop your feet from sweating but it will help dry them. I also Spray my feet with a Anti Fungus because they stay dark and wet.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Ric.

Isn't it funny how the health of our feet mirrors the care of turf grass in many ways. (Too wet, air flow, etc.)

I still think the powers that be should create a summer rubber boot that can be cooled at will to resemble a 30 degree winter morning.

Joe
Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yuck! Sweaty feet in boots smell bad. Things I have tried: take your boots off and drive in your stocking feet between stops. Change your socks at lunch time. Leave your boots in your truck cab over night and especially on hot Sundays. It really dries them out when the temp gets up to 135 in the cab. Use a bit of duct tape and one-inch diameter flexible corrugated hose. Put one end in the heater/AC outlet. Slide the other end down the front of your boot. Kick the fan on. Oh!!That feels so good!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A couple years ago I bought some rubber overboots. They fit over my running shoes, and go up to my upper calf. Very loose, thin, and flexible uppers. They allow more air flow around the tops than my old rubber boots. Very light and comfy. Very inexpensive. Seems like $8.00-$14.00. After a while I figured out that I can put them on without taking my running shoes out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoLawn View Post
Hello,

I need help and would like any suggestions from fellow experienced lawn applicators.

I have found that when I wear my "Brown Bear" boots from Gempler's my feet are always in a wet/sweaty state. Regardless of brand, it's a rubber boot thing.

http://www.gemplers.com/search/brown+bear+boots

I know this is probably something I should keep to myself, but I really need to find a better way to keep my feet dry/comfortable so I can extend my workable field time, less skin irritation, etc.

Thank you in advance!

Joe
medicated powder, 100% cotton socks, or ragwool in the cold months will make you feel more comfortable. But the minute your feet stop sweating in rubber boots... see a doctor!
Old 07-02-2011, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Chicago

I think you have a common problem that many of us share.

Try Food Grade Corn Starch. I use Argo Corn Starch from the Super Market. It might not stop your feet from sweating but it will help dry them. I also Spray my feet with a Anti Fungus because they stay dark and wet.
Corn starch will feed fungus; using it and an anti fungal is like using weed & feed, you're feeding the things you are trying to kill.

But if it works for you... power to you. Medicated talcum powder works best for me, like Gold Bond.