Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bamboo is highly susceptible to certain herbicides and can be killed by repeated application of others. No need to bring in excavation equipment. However, the way it is done is dictated by the proximity of desirable trees and shrubs to the infested area.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-08-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Bamboo is highly susceptible to certain herbicides and can be killed by repeated application of others. No need to bring in excavation equipment. However, the way it is done is dictated by the proximity of desirable trees and shrubs to the infested area.
Green

I know that repeated Roundup stump cut method will get Bamboo. But personal Experience I have found a Mower will work in about the same time. I saw a lot of Bamboo killed slap death in short order with a 2,4,5-T and 2,4-D. However that product is not on the open market.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know 2,4-D + 2,4,5-T will kill anything that resembles a tree. My usual for bamboo is hexazinone or imazapyr. I have had to kill off lots of escaped bamboo. Constant mowing or deep excavation were not options in most situations.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-08-2011, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Alright--Back up.........the original poster said he cut them down to 3" shoots......not allowing to dictate the thickness of the primary stems in question.
You are telling me you have mowed these stobs or stems with a mower. I can understand if you cut the stems down at ground level......evenly you will not puncture a tire. I made home made pit traps as a kid with bamboo and caused several bicycle flat tires. So, I am led to believe that two-- been there and done that LCO's have jeopardized their equipment for the benefit of removing and potentially harming your equipment over a nuissance job. You must have some hellaciously good blades and spindles to cut this crap with. The poster said 3" inch growth and not stobs.......so this still leads some speculation that the average JOE left stem growth above ground.
I am sorry.................I don't buy it!!!!
Thanks for subletting me into this debate!!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a search and found this. Doesn't make me warm & fuzzy.

I got a call, today, from a customer who has a "lot" of this he wants to get rid of (at a rental property he owns).

I'll post pics, if he wants me to "attempt" to tackle it.

Quick search for available herbicides indicates gly. @ 2%. Sounds like a pipe dream, from the looks of the aforementioned.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Get a Panda Bear??

Hopefully you saved all that you cut down, that stuff is pricey.
I use it all the time and sell it to my clients who need a plant, small tree or veggie staked. I just wait until someone is attempting to get rid of a patch and go collect a bunch.
I've been working on a bunch of about 150 10' long stems for about a year, I need to restock.

Look into Tordon. Even Though Bamboo is not on the label. it should work. It may take repeated apps.