Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2011, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've never had BAD compost...it's just that most of it is still decomposing....again that isn't bad, just makes it a little tough on seedlings.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Member

at this point with my well the way it is, and not be able to water.. i just want establish some type of grass/weeds.. so we wont have just dirt for our 4th of july party!!
Should i go over it with a cheaper seed with more weeds in it..just to get it started...i am desperate at this point!!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Define cheaper seed..lol Usually not the best idea. Just do your best to water what you can..more seed and money won't wet the grass. How big of an area are we talking about?
Old 05-11-2011, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

About 1/4 of an acre!! When I say cheaper seed I just mean something with more weed seed..or something that will germinate faster without water..I figure I can work on it over time with fert and overseeding!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2011, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

half has been seeded already!! Should i wait till june 1st to seed the other half!! so i can at least try to water some!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good seed is cheap enough....I didnt realize you still had half left to go....seed it now. As long as the wind doesnt blow it away...hay works great...if you have the time and muscle..cover it with 1/4 inch of topsoil. Yeah it costs money, but you could still just buy several cheap garden hoses and some cheap sprinklers connected via 4way at the spicket...you can even buy a cheapo battery operated timer..to water while your sleeping as well. It's really up to your effort and the weather at this point.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mdlawn is right. An inexpensive battery-operated water timer works great, cost about 39.95. Screw onto faucet. Turn the water on and off every day. The best ones will allow you to water 10 minutes, three times per day--maybe your well can accomodate that. A good rotary sprinkler will cover an 80 foot circle (with good pressure). With a good well you could water two 80 foot circles at a time. Be sure the problem isn't old rusty pipes. Connect as near to the well as possible. Check the flow in your bathtub. One gallon in 6 seconds is 10 gallons per minute--adequate for most purposes.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you're getting your well fixed by June that's fine... Not many people remeber when lawns grew w/out irrigation... April showers are now warm enough to get germination from the dormant seeding...
It is always best to try and retry rather than putting all your eggs in one basket... Another popular lawn that is coming back is White Clover, that requires little maintenance and makes a thick ground cover... Not sure if it will establish b4 the 4th though...