Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-07-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lefet - Everything looks good.
Not trying to critique your work but would it not be better to not mound the mulch around the trees such as you did?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-07-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Geist Yard Works View Post
Lefet - Everything looks good.
Not trying to critique your work but would it not be better to not mound the mulch around the trees such as you did?
+1 on the mulch volcanos. Otherwise, looks VERY nice.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah only thing i would suggest is a little less mulch around the trees. if you put too much they will begin to rot around the base of the tree. maybe go half as high on the mulch. everything else looks great though!!!

i would suggest using a site like www.photobucket.com or www.tinypic.com and uploading your pics there and then pasting the links here. it just seems to work better that way for me.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
BUMP,old thread got any more pictures?
Thanks for the resurrection, (and the reminder!!). Yes, I do have more pictures and I'll post more when I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
yeah only thing i would suggest is a little less mulch around the trees. if you put too much they will begin to rot around the base of the tree. maybe go half as high on the mulch. everything else looks great though!!!

i would suggest using a site like www.photobucket.com or www.tinypic.com and uploading your pics there and then pasting the links here. it just seems to work better that way for me.

Thanks for the advice. If I have trouble with additional photos I try to add, I'll give this a shot.

Mulch volcanoes:
Some of them we did, some not (very first post/picture) and I am aware how it "should" be. HOWEVER, if that's what the customer wants, that's what he gets. I take the time to explain the reasons why it shouldn't be done but oftentimes, they still insist. I am, on some occasions, able to reach some sort of compromise. Like use topsoil for the height and mulch at the very top, or "hollow out" (I call it) the top so it looks like a bowl.

Either way, constructive criticism is always welcome.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefet View Post
thanks for the resurrection, (and the reminder!!). Yes, i do have more pictures and i'll post more when i get a chance.
Yeah, I really like this thread, and think your work looks good.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's one of a lawn we maintain, as in cut. I wish we could take credit for the fertilization but I can't. We do love cutting it though!!

Edit: Now have to try different uploading of pictures. Present upload failed.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefet View Post
Thanks for the resurrection, (and the reminder!!). Yes, I do have more pictures and I'll post more when I get a chance.

[/B]

Thanks for the advice. If I have trouble with additional photos I try to add, I'll give this a shot.

Mulch volcanoes:
Some of them we did, some not (very first post/picture) and I am aware how it "should" be. HOWEVER, if that's what the customer wants, that's what he gets. I take the time to explain the reasons why it shouldn't be done but oftentimes, they still insist. I am, on some occasions, able to reach some sort of compromise. Like use topsoil for the height and mulch at the very top, or "hollow out" (I call it) the top so it looks like a bowl.

Either way, constructive criticism is always welcome.
I believe that doing that will have the same result. It doesnt matter what the media used is, it will still cause rot by disrupting the flow of nutrients in the bark. I could be wrong, as I have never personally tested this, but I have replaced some dead trees that were done that way. By the way, The cut quality looks good. The more pictures I look at on here, the more I think I should start my thread...hmmm
Old 01-08-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
I believe that doing that will have the same result. It doesnt matter what the media used is, it will still cause rot by disrupting the flow of nutrients in the bark.
I agree, except that it is the lack of fresh air that causes the base of the tree to rot. If you pile up any material right next to the base of the trunk, you are essentially smothering the tree. The mulch around the base should be shaped like a doughnut - tall around the outside edges of the circle, with almost no mulch above ground level next to the tree trunk.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let's try this again, see what happens!!
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2012, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, this is the one I'd LOVE to take credit for the fert, but I can't.
Just glad I'm able to post pictures now!!
Attached Images