Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2011, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Highschool Mowing Business Thread

Figured i'd make a little thread for all the highschoolers that have a mowing business.

Whats your equipment and how many yards do you have? Whats your future plans?

Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

More importantly do you have Commercial Auto Insurance, Liability Insurance, Pay Taxes on your income,etc? Also do you(and your parents) know if you are under 18 your parents will be held liable for any damage you cause? Sorry just had to!!
Old 05-07-2011, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, me too. my equipment is my down below. I'm maxed out right now, going right from school and working til dark. I need something for the summer to keep me busy when mowing dies down and I have more time. I just picked up a Landa 3000psi pressure washer and hope this might do the trick. not sure where I will be in 5 years.
Stihl BG55
Landa 3000 psi pressure washer

2000 Chevrolet Tracker, 2 door. w/ 4x7 trailer.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

All my stuff is listed below, I don't have but one customer. I still work at a body shop though.
Shindaiwa T230 trimmer
Echo PE200 Edger
Stihl BR86 Blower
Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPMinc View Post
More importantly do you have Commercial Auto Insurance, Liability Insurance, Pay Taxes on your income,etc? Also do you(and your parents) know if you are under 18 your parents will be held liable for any damage you cause? Sorry just had to!!
Workin on it haha, i knew it was coming. But seriously, we need to rly start thinkin ab insurance, bc we plan on getting bigger and we've done some talking to our parents about it.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am getting going seriously this year...have done a few yards in the past...most of my equipment is listed below. Im still in high school.
mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Just a freshman so i cant do much until im 16. I have commercial plates on my truck(registered under my father), but thats just about it as far as getting "big". I plan to get my license for spraying and insured and everything else when im 16. Cant really say where ill be in a couple years. Fert and landscaping is where the moneys at though!
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-12-2011, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Member

17 up here in Toronto. I have a niche lawn business for inner city yards. I have 27 yards @ $25.00 per cut (minimum rate). I am able to do them all with a push mower that I tow around in a proper bicycle trailer. It works great, while the guys with trucks and trailers are stuck in traffic...I am busy making money. Also do cleanups and even landscaping. Did my first sod job at 14 (Still looking good). Trying to get more into the landscaping side of the business and the lawn cutting side is a good client base to do this.

Lawn Equipment:
LawnBoy Residential (Upgrading to the commercial Toro 21" 22155 at the end of the month)
Stihl FS90-R
Echo PB250 Blower
Rakes, Brooms, Etc.

Other Equipment:
BCE 2500 PSI Pressure Washer
Echo HC150 Hedge Trimmer
Shindiawa 802RT Backpack blower (for cleanups)
100 000 BTU Weed Dragon Weed Flamer
Craftsman Roto-Tiller
+Other Misc. Handtools

Looking to upgrade and add more equipment this year. Right-now I am a one man show, but am looking to add some guys once I get my company to that point. Right now I am in between that threshold of too much work for myself...but not enough to take someone else on. I currently work 25 hours a week, but like it. It's nice to make $25/hour while my buddy's at McDonnalds are making minimum wage.

Does anyone else running a high school lawn business actually utilize proper accounting methods? I switched last year from using my memory to Quickbooks PRO and it has made all the difference. Keeping track of your money is important and proper accounting software may be your greatest piece of equipment. Sure a new exMark or Toro mower may get the job done faster but properly tracking your money will take you even further.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

IM a senior this year. I have about 22 res, and a bunch of commercial, i also do snow removal, thats where i make the most money. I pay for both my trucks and insurance. I have 5 guys working for me

2011 extended cab f250
2011 f550

06 c6500
FINN bb302 Bark Blower
06 vermeer bc1000XL 12" chipper
2 salt dogg v- box spreaders
8ftsnow dogg plow

9ft snow dogg plow
/2004 New Holland LS180

20 yrs old
Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzo856 View Post
IM a senior this year. I have about 22 res, and a bunch of commercial, i also do snow removal, thats where i make the most money. I pay for both my trucks and insurance. I have 5 guys working for me
What trucks are you running?