Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2011, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Door-To-Door Advertising: Out of Date.

In my opinion, door-to-door sales is a dead tactic. Some will say it has been successful for them-- it was successful in the 70's. If you are anything like me, you don't like getting interrupted by daily occurances from strangers. Most people don't now. In fact, if it occurs often enough, it can make me pretty angry. I used to believe that talking personally to potential customers was the best way to advertise service, but times have certainly changed. With the time and money spent walking door to door, I would rather spend that making signs on my truck, trailer, t shirt, etc., and let the customers come to me. It's better then getting the door shut in my face or getting an earful from some lady who got her sewing interrupted.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Re

Yeah, I'd rather Google or Yahoo as a means of attaining customers. I like for them to do the calling
Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tlc how has that tactic worked out for you so far?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2011, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpropm View Post
Tlc how has that tactic worked out for you so far?
Posted via Mobile Device
Pretty much how my examples went. Perhaps this method could be effective in other places, but here in Southern California, specifically around me, there are plenty of people more than willing to slam the door in your face than listen to what you have to say. This is just my experience, and others may disagree and tell you that they have had success, but I would go out on a limb and say that it is truly a dying trend. From a personal standpoint, it is simply too much time to take nowadays, walking door to door throughout neighborhoods. In today's market there are quicker and more effective ways to advertise (online, direct-mail, even door hangers eliminate the hassle of staying at a home for more than 10 seconds).
Old 05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I've done exclusively door-to-door this year, and in a town with approx. 1500 homes, we've gotten over 100 new weekly cut clients, not to mention the 150 or so who wanted a spring cleanup.

So, I've got to disagree with you.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc1994 View Post
Pretty much how my examples went. Perhaps this method could be effective in other places, but here in Southern California, specifically around me, there are plenty of people more than willing to slam the door in your face than listen to what you have to say. This is just my experience, and others may disagree and tell you that they have had success, but I would go out on a limb and say that it is truly a dying trend. From a personal standpoint, it is simply too much time to take nowadays, walking door to door throughout neighborhoods. In today's market there are quicker and more effective ways to advertise (online, direct-mail, even door hangers eliminate the hassle of staying at a home for more than 10 seconds).
I thought you were including door hanger in the door to door. Like you were saying I believe door to door still has its place.?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2011, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok...at some point I'd like to do door to door solicitation but only as a follow up to did you get our: flyer, postcard or door hanger 7-10 days ago....? We are running a special today only for xyz service we featured in the flyer etc. "Did you have a chance to look at the material"? This is oir rock bottom price of the season for this service....we are here now. Of course door knocking needs to be done by females that are easy on the eyes and paid a commission for sales.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2011, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is it just here in SC but most of the neighborhoods that I really want to be in have no soliciting signs up at entrances
Posted via Mobile Device