Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2011, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

where do you pick up more clients at beginning, middle or end of season?

Got commerical grade equipment now. Wanna move up in the world increase my profit margin a bit. Thinking bout putting add in our paper. I got 8 fulltime clients now would like to see it grow to 16 at the end of season. feed back guys.

2006 F-250
52 Exmark lazer Z
60 Kubota zg227
John deere push mower
2 Fs 90 R + egder
128 husqvarna
echo blower
600 br blower
NEW
Dump truck
Back hoe
Bob Cat
Bull dozer
Old 05-08-2011, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

most during beginning of season. April is always huge in FL
Old 05-08-2011, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Have you tried flyers? Have a brochure with all your services and make it look professional, and have a yearly lawn maintenance package for the year, cutting, fertilizing, aeration etc.
Also let them know you can do more than just cut, as i have a full service client base and i do EVERYTHING for them. power washing, handy man, what ever, so instead of calling around for someone they can just ask you if you do it. I have narrowed my clients from 65 weekly to under thirty and i make more money with less as i would never just cut lawn, you make more cash doing multiple services for your clients. Also strata's are a great consistent revenue maker and with additional work it's cash in the pocket.

Hope this helps.

Jim's mowing Vancouver BC Canada.

ex mark 26'
Honda 216
Dodge ram 2500 diesel mega-cab
shindiawa blower, t270 trimmer
stihl km 110 stick edger
km 110 split boom hedge trimmer
km 100 mini hedge trimmer
Old 05-08-2011, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

flyers don't work well. customer referrals and websites are the best
Old 05-08-2011, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, it doesn't work for every one, but had to throw it in.
Most of my clients where from referrals and in spring is usually when you get the most new clients, with walk ups. It all depends on where you cut, as in Vancouver we have no problem obtaining work through out the year, and with Jim's mowing here, this is a franchise business , where they find the work for you. You pay franchise fees every month and they give you a territory to work in and they advertise for you and boom! you are so busy in the beginning it gets very overwhelming.

I have been a Jim for seven years and don't take work from the office as i have too much work all year and only drive 25 kilometers a day. and have compressed all my clients close to where i live.

So put your business in your local community paper and make sure it's in the weekend edition as most people don't look at it during the week. And it's up to you but you could offer your reg clients a free cut with every referral that turns out to be a regular client. What you loose for that one cut you will make up with a new reg.

Also if possible total what you make from a client for the year and if they pre pay for the year take off 5%. This gives you cash right away in spring when cash is low.

I have a client who pre pays for the year on three properties, and it puts 5k in my bank, before tax time.

I am transitioning to full commercial and i think it's the way to go.

Also try having clients pay by credit card, this is big with Jim's and you get paid in three days.

I forgot to ask you where you live as this all depends on so many variables.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mostly the beginning of the season but things are way off this year post cards that in the past would of generated 160 calls and over a 100 accounts are about a 10th of that. So we have re done our referral program and hit the papers and were even having the open trailers lettered. Knowing when you get your accounts is great cause you also know when your in trouble and can adapt to your new situation. Now we have locked down about 12 new accounts in the last week but 181 is no where near where we want to be so we will keep at it till we break through the 200 mark in a few more weeks. But I can remember when Bush was in office in 2004 and I signed up 27 accounts in a 3 day weekend in march. I wish we were in that market again the new reality is cold and dark.

As for the end of the year we tend to shy away from them they mostly just want a fall clean up but have 0 loyalty and the promises of their lawn account next season is BS they just say what ever to get what they want now.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I get some new customers at the beginning of the season, but the vast majority of my new customers come during the middle of the season. Usually it is the people who were planning on mowing their own lawn all year, but it gets too hot and they decide to hire me. Or the other lawn guy just doesn't show up.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-08-2011, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've gotten more calls at the beginning of this year than ever from my website... Only problem was I guess my site wasn't specific enough on my service area (Originally it said We service South St. Louis County) and more than half the calls were out of my service area. To be more specific I listed the two zip codes I serviced and it has gotten rid of this problem.

I would agree though that the beginning and middle brings the most new clients, majority from word of mouth (also the best type).
Old 05-08-2011, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess we all have great ideas on how to obtain new clients, but at the end of the day it's economics.

If the area is economically poor you will have challenges, and if you see a Ferrari in the drive way well, you get the picture.

We have this in Vancouver, and it's probably the most expensive place to buy in North America, and what i would charge for a cut in Burnaby, some one in west Vancouver could charge double, and get it.

Also, competition. There are so many ma and pa cut and go businesses and then there are the big guys all over the tri cities, and me in the middle, but have never wanted for work. (thank god for lazy people)

Year end and spring news letters. Picture of family or yourself to make it personal. This is also to let them know what you do and like a menu they can order Ala cart, or the full meal deal.

I usually buy gifts for my best clients, and usually get a nice tip back.

In spring i send a news letter with spring tips and ideas for my garden savy clients.

After 5 to 10 years of working with a client, they are loyal and it's like an extended family, with benefits.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All year round for us.