Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2011, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl 36 v cordless?

Has anyone tried it in real life. i was at a show, and they let me spin it, cut some string...pretty interesting

i am a heavy echo user myself, but overall i am noticing more and more problems with the small 2 cycle motors....mostly carb problems casued by fuel. running high octane is getting costly, and considering that some of this stuff needs a tune up after 6 months of use

just wondering if this is an option for anyone. I dont think its gods gift, and the gas powered trimmer will always be needed. But we trim every week, and most of the time, i use a 21 cc trimmer and i dont need full power either.

We have an electric 21 inch mower that is AMAZING. never did i though we would like it so much. just wondering if the stihl stuff is worth taking the chance.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I only see the HSA65 hedge trimmer. Of cause it is strong enough. the are plenty of 18V hedge trimmer and home owner has been using it. I have three gas hedge trimmers, Like you said, I rarely pull over half throttle doing hedge trimming. Power has never been a problem with hedge trimmer. I even have a tiny 6V crapsman hedge trimmer for touch up and it works great!!! 36v is a lot of voltage, even the lawn mower only use 48v!!! In my opinion, they should come out with maybe a 18cc or even 15cc gas hedge trimmer, adjust the gear box to get more torque and it would be perfect for saving gas, lighter weight.

My issue is more on the 20" blades, it is too short, it would be much better if it is 24".

really, your fuel cost is on the mower, not the little hedge trimmer. use some blue Stabil with 89 oct and you save money staying with the Echo hedge trimmer. My little Echo HC151 is the most reliable piece I have going on 6 years.

Last edited by Alan0354; 05-08-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I was at my dealer a week or so ago, they showed on to me. They had just recently got a couple in, so they didn't have any customers with one yet. I held it in the showroom and spun it around. It is definately light weight, incredibly balanced and really quiet.

As of right now, I think they would be great for homeowners. If you used this commercially, you could maybe get 2-4 neighborhood/in-town type lawns done on a single charge. You would need to have several of the larger batteries to get through a full day of commercial mowing but still need to be doing residential lawns as to have lesser amounts of trimming.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-08-2011, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I just remember some important points.

1) Like Mowerbrad said, you really need at least two batteries to do the job. Everytime I do trimming, it's going to be at least 1 1/2 hour, each battery is spec for 35 to 45 minutes. And very soon after you use it, the battery start to loose charge capacity slowly and last less and less time.

2) THis is even more important in the equation. from using a lot of cordless power tools. Those batteries DO NOT last. I double each last a year for often using. I can tell you this having so many dead batteries. I bet you the Stihl battery is going to be over $100 each. If you have to change 2 batteries a year, that would way exceed the cost of the carb if you change it yourself ( which is so so easy!!!).

I don't think you'll be ahead unless you are a tree hugger and "earth first". It is only good for home owner that use once and hang on the wall for months. Then you are talking about stale gas, maintenance on the gas trimmer. You are a pro and you use it often, and those are not your problems. Battery is not the way to go.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl Hedger: $299.95

AP 80 Lithium-Ion Battery: $149.95

Lithium-Ion Battery Chargers: $49.95 to 89.95
--------------

Going to be pricey buying this stuff. I started a thread on this very subject over in the Florida forum this week.

This might be suitable for a homeowner but definitely not for commercial use.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

my echos are running terrible with this fuel this year even 93 doesnt help
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 05-08-2011, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deere615 View Post
my echos are running terrible with this fuel this year even 93 doesnt help
That could be cause by many reason. You are going to have to trouble shoot before making any conclusion.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAhaulboy View Post
Stihl Hedger: $299.95

AP 80 Lithium-Ion Battery: $149.95

Lithium-Ion Battery Chargers: $49.95 to 89.95
--------------

Going to be pricey buying this stuff. I started a thread on this very subject over in the Florida forum this week.

This might be suitable for a homeowner but definitely not for commercial use.
That answer a lot of question. Echo 20" HC150 is $275. Carb is say $40 each, blue Stabil, a few dollars a bottle.

vs

$149 a battery and you need mim 2 to 3 to be a pro. One year life in my estimate. So automatically over $400 a year. If you don't use it as often, say average 1.5 battery a year, that is $300 a year. You really think a carb and some gas will cost that much a year?

To me, the biggest advantage of cordless trimmer is low maintenance for home owner where you only need one battery and the battery will last 3+ year. No stale gas or carb to worry. BUT for a pro LCO that use it all the time, that defeat the best feature of a cordless battery trimmer and get the worst of the battery operational life.

Last edited by Alan0354; 05-08-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't get me wrong, I am very pro cordless battery tools. I have all cordless drills, circular saw and all, I did earthquake retrofit with all cordless tool. For those, there is a big advantage vs the corded tool because of the stupid cord that snack on everything. but in lawn tool, you don't have a cord to start with, the big advantage is gone. There is no weight advantage because the echo 150 is only about 10 lbs also, so that advantage is gone.

If you look into other brands of battery hedge trimmer that has dual reciplicated blades and real knife edge blades, you'll find you can get them for less than half the price of Stihl, now you are talking. Every accessory is half the price of Stihl, then you have to do a calculation to see which way is cheaper. The Stihl cordless is just way tooooooooo much.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry guys I guess I wasn't clear. I was talking about the string trimmers. Yes more than 1 battery would be needed. But let's also remember that is 35-45 of trigger time, not idle time. With running high octane fuel plus the cost of oil, i bet the average crew uses at least $4.00 or more of mixed gas per week. 30 weeks of that is $120 bucks, easy the cost of a batty saved....but hue bigger deal is not having to tune and replace carbs after every season, plus pull starters every 2 years.....and if your already an electric user, you know how nice it is to just pull the trigger and go

I like the still because for the line trimmer it is the most similar to the weight , balance, and length as a standard gas powered unit
Posted via Mobile Device