Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Sponsor

Looking to edit your existing web pages yourself?

I know many of you are frustrated that you can't edit your own web pages. Most sites are so-called "static" sites, meaning only an expensive web designer can edit them.

I just discovered a service called SimpleCMS (a cloud software that's all online). It's easy to set up by a non-technical person and allows you to change text, images, and meta tags.

PM me if you want more info.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I have to say if anyone's going to convert to a CMS I strongly recommend going with something that's open source, free and that's been around, like Wordpress.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Sponsor

I agree that WordPress, Joomla and others are good solutions. But I wouldn't call any of them free - not when you consider the many hours it takes to configure them, customize them, and brand them to your business.

As a designer, whenever I work with these 'free' cms programs, I know that I'm in for a fight and have to compromise in many areas. I'd much rather design a nice clean html site for a low-budget client. The only downside is that these are static pages. Having discovered SimpleCMS, I now have an easy solution to that problem.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

To edit a static website all you need is a quick lesson on html and php. Its simple! To write it is a different story. Check w3schools.com and it should help you out a little.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.q View Post
To edit a static website all you need is a quick lesson on html and php. Its simple! To write it is a different story. Check w3schools.com and it should help you out a little.
I don't have a problem editing sites since I know html and use dreamweaver and know a little php. I'm talking about contractors with existing static sites, and who will never learn html and don't want to hire a designer every time they want to edit content. This simplecms is a very cool, low cost ($7/mo) solution for them.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For many of those people, I'd even suggest just getting a nice looking site done one time and skip editing except for once a year when maybe they can add to their album page.

Unless they change their license, phone or address, a lot of people don't need to change much.

Even though I'd never use the suggestion of the OP because its not my need, I'll still check it out just to know what is available.

If it's reliable, why not use it, for the right person.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890