Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Cost of removing 7 bushes, 6 small trees, 25 branches cut down

Hi, the owner of the property wants to clean up the front of the building.

They want:

1: Remove all bushes (roots)/small trees from front of building. Just remove no top soil.

2: Remove all small 6 trees no root just cut low.

3: Trim bottom branches of trees for light, 5 trees, 25 branches

He will provide a bin for on the back to throw away all items. Iím thinking for one person this will be a 3 day job. I have never done a job like that. What quote can I give him for this job.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

1 guy, eight hours or 2 guys, 5 hours. I would use the hillybilly method and pull the bushes with your truck ad then cut everthing back, the tree branches should go fast with a pole saw.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post
1 guy, eight hours or 2 guys, 5 hours. I would use the hillybilly method and pull the bushes with your truck ad then cut everthing back, the tree branches should go fast with a pole saw.
Thanks for the reply, I don't have a truck power full enough to do this. But you gave me another idea to pull these bushes with a pulley system. How much do you think I should take for a job like that?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you've never done tree work before I'd either pass on it or subcontract a tree service. 3 days should be plenty of time to get that done though. The part that concerns me is that you have never done this type of work before.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
If you've never done tree work before I'd either pass on it or subcontract a tree service. 3 days should be plenty of time to get that done though. The part that concerns me is that you have never done this type of work before.
Thanks for the reply, I have done this type of work but not to this scale, only residential gardens. But this is larger so its hard for me to price it out.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, well even though they are just low limbs on those trees, you can screw it up if you don't know what you're during and get hurt in the process.

One thing I will say regarding those shrubs....be sure you leave some trunk standing up when you cut them. It gives some leverage when trying to pull them. I often use a "sacrificial" axe to chop the roots around shrubs. You could use a come-along anchored to a tree or something else to pull yank them, but don't expect it do it by itself...some digging and/or chopping will almost certainly be needed. As soon as you can get them to start moving, you can see where they are holding.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Ok, well even though they are just low limbs on those trees, you can screw it up if you don't know what you're during and get hurt in the process.

One thing I will say regarding those shrubs....be sure you leave some trunk standing up when you cut them. It gives some leverage when trying to pull them. I often use a "sacrificial" axe to chop the roots around shrubs. You could use a come-along anchored to a tree or something else to pull yank them, but don't expect it do it by itself...some digging and/or chopping will almost certainly be needed. As soon as you can get them to start moving, you can see where they are holding.
That's great advice I am aware to leave some of the trunk for handling. Thanks for letting me know the exact name of the tool: come-along. Its cheap to rent like 30 a week plus slings if you need them.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to entertain the idea of renting a mini skid to yank those shrubs.

The only problem I see with using a mini though is trying not to disturb the soil under the sidewalk and having issues with that in the long run.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Removing tree branches. Use a three point cut.

1. a distance away from the trunk, cut through the bottom of the branch 1/4 way.

2. go on the top between the bottom cut and the trunk and cut through the branch.
That way you do not tear the bark when the branch falls!
3. Cut the stub just outside of the branch collar. That is where it is puffy next to the
trunk. Do not cut into this, as it is not a recommended practice and prevents
proper "compartmentalization of disease in trees."

Google: Alex Shigo, C.O.D.I.T., ISA for more information on tree pruning.

If you already knew this, awesome. Hopefully it helps out some others.

Also, even though you have provided us some great reference shots,
I believe you have a better perspective of the scope of work than any of us.

I would stick to a price that you feel comfortable with. Trust your insticts.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This site is acting weird right now??? I already posted this and it didn't show up.

Prune those branches with a three point pruning method.

1. a distance away from the trunk, cut 1/4 way through the bottom of the branch.
2. go farther out the branch and cut it through from the top, so it doesn't tear bark.
3. cut the stub that is left, just outside of the branch collar. This is the puffy part
next to the trunk. Don't cut into the branch collar as it will prevent proper healing.

"compartmentalization of disease in trees= codit"
For more pruning information search: Alex Shigo, Codit and ISA

If you already know this, fantastic. Hopefully it will help others.

As for price. Although you have supplied some great pictures, you have the
better perspective of the scope of work required.

Trust your instincts. I believe they are right.

I'm such a ludite tonight.