Old 05-09-2011, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
"Mulching price $40"
"Bagging price $55"

or

"I don't bag"
When I give them my bagged price, they usually get pissed and say I'll get back to you.

I dont bag has lost me at least three potential customers this year. I only have about 10 customers currently. I want to grow my small business, but I don't want to work for nothing.

FYI, this is my p/t job
Old 05-09-2011, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Around here everyone bags everything. I know of one major LCO that is going to mulching. I talked to him on the phone when I was looking at buying an exmark he had at the local dealer and he told me he was gonna try mulching everything. Good luck to him, but bagging is standard and will be for a long time in this city. I hope one day we all can mulch around here, but I'm not sure if you can successfully mulch our grass types. (99% of real LCO's here run walkers or exmark navigators)
Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Honestly, I have no idea how much bagging needs to be done on a yard. Depends on size and how much grass you are taking off the top. I tell them 2.50 every time the bag needs to be emptied. Turned one of my 25 dollar yards to a 42.50 yard. Some people will pay. Most will agree on mulching being better.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffWork View Post
Around here everyone bags everything. I know of one major LCO that is going to mulching. I talked to him on the phone when I was looking at buying an exmark he had at the local dealer and he told me he was gonna try mulching everything. Good luck to him, but bagging is standard and will be for a long time in this city. I hope one day we all can mulch around here, but I'm not sure if you can successfully mulch our grass types. (99% of real LCO's here run walkers or exmark navigators)
What grass types are you dealing with in Amarillo?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy bags wholesale?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

$1 a minute

$1 a minute for bagging. You want it bagged, YOU GOT IT. Work is work, and bagging won't break my back. I own no discharge mower decks, only mulch and hopper.

I do everything I can to please the customer in legal bounds set by health and physics. This normally brings the price up to $10-$40 more. And I tell to bag the first time and once a month, if they really like bagging, and if they insist, I will definitly bag every time, even though I don't really agree, but who am i???

IT'S THEIR PROPERTY! ..... and it's something a medieval town-idiot can do, for the low, low price of .... you guessed it.... $60 per hour RATE.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i charge that much and all i do is side discharge. i tell them i don't have a bagger. i'm not gonna buy a $3000 bagging system to please one customer either. i've only had 1 ask me if i bagged. i mowed it and afterwards they were fine with it not being bagged. if i did bag i certainly wouldn't dump it in the back of my truck and haul it off like alot do on here. i would dump it on site by the road for the city to pick up or in the woods or something. maybe if you cut million dollar home yards then they want it bagged but i wouldn't know because none of my customers live in million dollar homes.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would explain the benefits of leaving the clippings, coupled with a slight increase in added labor. I would also remind them that it has to be dumped somewhere which will probably increase your expenditures and decrease your profit. All in a gentle, informative, professional manner. If they still insist on bagging, and DON'T want to pay for the increase, then in the long run you probably won't want them as a customer. A lot of times, people think their lawn is the only one you take care of so it's "no big deal". We had one that wanted to fertilize the dickens out of it, had an irrigation system so the water was ALWAYS on, they wanted it bagged, AND CUT EVERY TWO WEEKS!!!
Sometimes you're going to lose a few, when I do, I work harder at finding TWO to replace them.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would explain the benefits of leaving the clippings, coupled with a slight increase in added labor. I would also remind them that it has to be dumped somewhere which will probably increase your expenditures and decrease your profit. All in a gentle, informative, professional manner. If they still insist on bagging, and DON'T want to pay for the increase, then in the long run you probably won't want them as a customer. A lot of times, people think their lawn is the only one you take care of so it's "no big deal". We had one that wanted to fertilize the dickens out of it, had an irrigation system so the water was ALWAYS on, they wanted it bagged, AND CUT EVERY TWO WEEKS!!!
Sometimes you're going to lose a few, when I do, I work harder at finding TWO to replace them.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sucks when you hit that button twice!!