Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2012, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardatwork View Post
If they have dogs or kids...grass will be tracked in from mulching no matter how fine you cut the grass. In my opinion...bagging grass is far superior and more professional. I don't care how good of a mulching system you have...grass will never look as nice as if you bag (depending on the state/area you live). High grass isn't easy to mulch...but...if you go at the right speed...you can bag that grass.
Here in central fl nobody bags!!! You can always tell new people who relocate from jersey and new York and want the grass bagged. Tell them to suck it, cause no way no how anyone is gonna bag it down here! I couldn't imagine having to deal with a ton of clippings on a daily basis.

eXmarks mulch st Augustine beautifully, even the Bahia mulches pretty good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2012, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i run just the scag v-ride for now. i bought a metal grass catcher this year for god knows what reason. it fills up so fast its rediculous. less than 2 minutes of mowing and its full. i can bag little small yards but my bigger places with lush lawn, forget about it. id need a totally different mower and bagging system. i double cut instead. big companies around me bag. half their day is dumping clippings into a truck. but some commercial places require it so you gotta do it, but its not like your not getting paid. and they got their own dumping grounds too.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a few customers who want the property bagged, they tend to be the older ones who grew up with doing it that way so can't change their minds.

Normally I will not bag but like a few said simply run over the property 2 times with the 2nd time a different dierection. If I feel it needs baggeing I will do it but don't plan on it when arriving.

Plus most customers don't won't to pay extra for the bagging.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't talk about bagging. I just give them a price. If they ever figure it out, and they want it bagged, I let them know it costs more than mulching. And I ask them where they want the smelly pile of clippings. Most will drop it since the lawn looks really good regardless. I actually side discharge, but I call it mulching.

I tell them it is better for the lawn. I ask them to do the research, call friends, Google it, whatever. And I explain the difference between "clumps" and "clippings". I tell them that clippings will be everywhere...but I promise to never leave a clump.

However, I agree that on some small lawns, bagging is quicker and easier than cleaning out the walks and beds from all the clippings. And we bag in the fall to suck up the leaves. Nothing is black and white.

Ford
Exmark-Gravely
Stihl-Redmax
Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
I don't talk about bagging. I just give them a price. If they ever figure it out, and they want it bagged, I let them know it costs more than mulching. And I ask them where they want the smelly pile of clippings. Most will drop it since the lawn looks really good regardless. I actually side discharge, but I call it mulching.

I tell them it is better for the lawn. I ask them to do the research, call friends, Google it, whatever. And I explain the difference between "clumps" and "clippings". I tell them that clippings will be everywhere...but I promise to never leave a clump.

However, I agree that on some small lawns, bagging is quicker and easier than cleaning out the walks and beds from all the clippings. And we bag in the fall to suck up the leaves. Nothing is black and white.
So why don't you simply but the mulch kit on and block the outlet
Old 01-17-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do whatever I am asked to do. I do small residential yards, and since I don't have many, I just bag it if they ask me to. It looks better and if it takes ne longer, that is why you get paid by the hour.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastruck04 View Post
How do you explain benefits of mulching vs bagging to your customers?

It seems this year I'm running into a lot of customers who want their lawn bagged.

I have a new customer who wants her 3/4 acre bagged. I really dont want to buys a bag for my Z.

Any thoughts?
since i don't mulch my lawns i don't have to explain it to them.

i either side discharge or bag.

the clients get whatever they request and will pay for. if they want there lawns bagged each and every time and will pay what i charge for bagging they get no arguement from me.

even if i did offer mulching, again the clients get what they want and will pay for.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
So why don't you simply but the mulch kit on and block the outlet
Here in the northeast mulching just doesn't work very well with the lush growth of our northern grasses. I have tried it before and it can be done, but you have to slow way way down sometimes and even then you can make a mess. If you've got all accounts that are done at least weekly and don't have excessive growth I guess it's possible, but I'd rather discharge and double cut and/or bag as necessary instead...I've found it to be more productive overall.

In the summer, sure...but spring and fall and in moist/wet condtions it can be a problem mulching here.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy View Post
Here in central fl nobody bags!!! You can always tell new people who relocate from jersey and new York and want the grass bagged. Tell them to suck it, cause no way no how anyone is gonna bag it down here! I couldn't imagine having to deal with a ton of clippings on a daily basis.

eXmarks mulch st Augustine beautifully, even the Bahia mulches pretty good.
Posted via Mobile Device
these kind of people crack me up.......

while it may be the norm right now to not bag i can imagine someone, sometime eventually changing that norm.

like me for example. i bag lawns on a daily basis. during the spring i stop at the compost site to empty my truck on a daily basis. i'm used to it and it's not that big of a deal to deal with.

if i moved to florida i can tell you i would offer bagging if the client wanted to. and it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

in the spring i get a 6' truck bed full of clippings that go the compost site daily. in the summer i'm down to one trip to the compost site a week because there isn't that much bagging required. in the fall when doing leaves i'm back to one visit a day.

would it be nicer not to have to bag. of course it would. but it's not really that hard or that big of a deal i don't think. certainly not like some people make it out to be.

to darryl now....

i only cut grass on a weekly basis and it's not possible to mulch. growth and moisture makes it impossible during the spring. about the only time it would work is very late summer and by that time it's getting too close to fall when you need to bag leaves so it's not worth putting a mulching kit on.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
these kind of people crack me up.......

while it may be the norm right now to not bag i can imagine someone, sometime eventually changing that norm.

like me for example. i bag lawns on a daily basis. during the spring i stop at the compost site to empty my truck on a daily basis. i'm used to it and it's not that big of a deal to deal with.

if i moved to florida i can tell you i would offer bagging if the client wanted to. and it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

in the spring i get a 6' truck bed full of clippings that go the compost site daily. in the summer i'm down to one trip to the compost site a week because there isn't that much bagging required. in the fall when doing leaves i'm back to one visit a day.

would it be nicer not to have to bag. of course it would. but it's not really that hard or that big of a deal i don't think. certainly not like some people make it out to be.

to darryl now....

i only cut grass on a weekly basis and it's not possible to mulch. growth and moisture makes it impossible during the spring. about the only time it would work is very late summer and by that time it's getting too close to fall when you need to bag leaves so it's not worth putting a mulching kit on.
But, nobody bags here and nobody cares about bagging. We don't bag in Florida.
Posted via Mobile Device