Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
So why don't you simply but the mulch kit on and block the outlet
Mulching is way slower than discharge. And I can switch to bagging in 1 minute for the few lawns I do bag...then switch back.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
But, nobody bags here and nobody cares about bagging. We don't bag in Florida.
Posted via Mobile Device
well if thats the case so be it.....

but if i moved to FL to start up my business (which my parents are always trying to get me to do) i would offer it for anybody that wanted it.

i don't think bagging is that big of a deal unless your talking multipul acres, which i wouldn't be doing any way.

just saying......
Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
these kind of people crack me up.......

while it may be the norm right now to not bag i can imagine someone, sometime eventually changing that norm.

like me for example. i bag lawns on a daily basis. during the spring i stop at the compost site to empty my truck on a daily basis. i'm used to it and it's not that big of a deal to deal with.

if i moved to florida i can tell you i would offer bagging if the client wanted to. and it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

in the spring i get a 6' truck bed full of clippings that go the compost site daily. in the summer i'm down to one trip to the compost site a week because there isn't that much bagging required. in the fall when doing leaves i'm back to one visit a day.

would it be nicer not to have to bag. of course it would. but it's not really that hard or that big of a deal i don't think. certainly not like some people make it out to be.

to darryl now....

i only cut grass on a weekly basis and it's not possible to mulch. growth and moisture makes it impossible during the spring. about the only time it would work is very late summer and by that time it's getting too close to fall when you need to bag leaves so it's not worth putting a mulching kit on.
I think it's more like impratical and not impossible, because I have done it. If I were just mowing my own lawn I'd probably mulch year-round. But for production mowing it's just impractical to mulch all the time here, in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I think it's more like impratical and not impossible, because I have done it. If I were just mowing my own lawn I'd probably mulch year-round. But for production mowing it's just impractical to mulch all the time here, in my opinion.
I would agree 100%. I had a property last year that I cut every week, I picked up and put the grass in my big green landscaper barrels - filled two of them with a pile behind them. I mower blade was set at 4", the week before it was 3.5. The following week I double cut - it took less time.
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 01-18-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
yeah i guess impractical could be a better word.

to mulch effectively and turn out a quality cut though you can only take a third or less of the grass off and it has to be dry to do it.

not very practical when you have to mow 10+ lawns a day and can't sit around waiting for the morning dew to burn off.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
well if thats the case so be it.....

but if i moved to FL to start up my business (which my parents are always trying to get me to do) i would offer it for anybody that wanted it.

i don't think bagging is that big of a deal unless your talking multipul acres, which i wouldn't be doing any way.

just saying......
I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that people down here don't care about it. I have NEVER had a request to bag.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
yeah i guess impractical could be a better word.

to mulch effectively and turn out a quality cut though you can only take a third or less of the grass off and it has to be dry to do it.

not very practical when you have to mow 10+ lawns a day and can't sit around waiting for the morning dew to burn off.
Fail, wet or longer grass can be dealt with in many ways with the right equipment and correct management of the schedule and fertilizer program. I have been mulching 10 lawns a day solo for years now.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
Fail, wet or longer grass can be dealt with in many ways with the right equipment and correct management of the schedule and fertilizer program. I have been mulching 10 lawns a day solo for years now.
Zone 6 is Tennessee right! Well up here a proper cutting schedule would have to be twice a week in the spring, in order to mulch, its bag, or side discharge and double cut so if you move up this way you would ruin youor perfect score!
36" Ferris
21" Ferris
22" Toro
Redmax 8050
Echo ES 230
Remax 2301 Trimmer
Remax Hedger
Shindaiwa 25 trimmer
Echo 16/18 Chainsaw
Echo 24" Hedge Trimmer
Husaqvana 70 lp spreader
Troy Bush Whacker
Excel 2600 Power Washer
Mighty Mac Shredder
Powermate tillers
Felco hand tools
Old 01-18-2012, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

When you’re trying to get accounts in an area where you want to UP FRONT tell potential clients we ONLY side discharge or mulch….meanwhile the OTHER LCO’s are running Walkers with huge piles of clippings in their trailer or truck and they are not charging extra for hauling off clippings? Good luck.
This is the fly in the ointment of this business. One size does not fit all. I mulch and side discharge as much as I can but bagging is often just faster.

My vote is these are the best quotes thus far in this thread....

Quote:
I discharge, mulch or bag based solely on my discretion...whatever it takes to maintain a neat appearance. I will bag as needed, but not as a matter of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Something that no one seems to bring up is bagging on the smaller lawns is actually faster. It eliminates getting clippings in the mulch beds it drastically reduces the amount you have to blow off the walks and driveways and eliminates weirdo maneuvers when mowing to try to keep the grass out of things. ....big snip......

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you're really dedicated to it you can mulch even here in the northeast...I've done it (Turf Tracer HP and Lazer Z HP with full mulch kits). But I had half the accounts I do now and there were times that I had to mow at 1 mph and clean my deck frequently.

If you're in total control of the fertilization, irrigation and mowing schedule and have a good mulching deck and plenty of horse power it can definitely be done.

But if your lawns get away from you due to a prolonged rainy spell or you pick up new accounts that are overgrown or have customers that get quick release liquid fertilizer applications and the resultant explosive growth, it can turn into a nightmare. In that case I would mow tall and then come back a few days later and mow again. Even heavy stands of clover and crabgrass can be a problem. It's one thing to disperse areas of heavy discharged clippings with a blower...it's a totally different matter to try to disperse mush.