Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-18-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

mulching is a good thing for the lawn, adding the nutrients it needs back into the lawn. Bagging is going to remove the nutrients that can be added back in. We cut mainly bluegass/rye, it looks ok when mulched but can get messy. I have just side dishcharged in large areas such as parks or back acrage areas. In my areas some guys mulch and but its mainly the larger HOA mowing guys. On the other hand, everyone catches and it has just become the standard in our area. But it is getting spendy to get rid of. I go to the dump daily and its costing me about 9 to 12 dollars a day. Just depends on how much I bagged and growth. But you gotta charge for it if you do have to bag, there is only so much you can get away with charging but do what you can.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
Fail, wet or longer grass can be dealt with in many ways with the right equipment and correct management of the schedule and fertilizer program. I have been mulching 10 lawns a day solo for years now.
its not really a fail......

i just don't want to mess with it.

side discharging or bagging i can start first thing in the morning, i don't need to wait until the grass dries or cut it every 4 days.

i cut each client on the same day on a weekly basis.

plus i don't do the fertilizing so i have no control over it.

it's just much easier to side discharge or bag.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
it's just much easier to side discharge or bag.
Bingo!

Everybody write this down...mark it on your calendars....I wholly agree with Yardguy!

But what about if you have a rear discharging mower?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Bingo!

Everybody write this down...mark it on your calendars....I wholly agree with Yardguy!

But what about if you have a rear discharging mower?
well personally the only rear discharge mower i have is my toro commercial 21.

i just use the bagger when i use that mower. on occasion if the conditions are right i have been known to throw the mulch plug in and a very few times i have used the side discharge adapter.

a larger rear discharge mower puts me at a lose for words since i've never owned one or used one.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
. Mulching adds alot of thatch to the lawn,.
Does it now?

Every lawn I've mulched almost exclusively is greener sooner in the season, greener longer in the fall and through drought, and overall healthier than the bagged lawns. I do bag occasionally when conditions such as heavy rains or some jackawagon dropping 3lbs of nitrogen force it. I mulch or discharge ( I call it shred) literally 90+% of the time for the past 18 years and my lawns look fantastic.

I do not run a power rake on them and they have the perfect thatch layers. They have incredible earthworm activity.

I do have a final cut and first cut technique I employ but that will cost you a beer.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable person on here, but from having mowed lawns since I was a little kid (so, about 13 years, now), and having more lawns this year, all of which I'm free to experiment on, I've noticed some things.

The grass seems happier since I've started cutting it, and this is a fairly dry year, so while I'm sure I'm not doing things 100% right, I can't be doing things too badly, either. The lawns here (upper peninsula of michigan) seem to love mulching, and it responds (at least with the mowers I use) really well to mulching, with virtually no clumping, even with bi weekly cutting. Mulching, at the increased height (3.75"-4"), my lawns seem more drought resistant than the other lawns, and none of my lawns are watered. I wish I could talk these people into watering their lawns, it would make a huge difference.

now, I'm sure there are situations that warrant bagging on a regular/semi regular basis, but I have yet to notice any extra buildup from mulching, and I can mulch here at fairly high speeds, for the mowers I use (though they are slower mowers). I would mulch where/when feasible, personally. now, I would love to bag for leaf cleanup, it would make things so much faster.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mulch mowing makes horticultural sense in many ways... this year just the mulch covering the soil protecting it from water loss and excessive heat is worth it weight in gold...
Old 07-12-2012, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont do anything over an acre however all my nice lawns are bagged. Its in the price and its something that comes "standard" vs the other guys who don't mention it or try not to do it. Same with double cutting. But next season Ive attracted the eye of some larger places so im going to have to stay efficient with what ever rider I buy.

Ive also found bagging to be faster then mulching when it comes to the dew and spring/fall weather. A mulch kit can make a mess in a hurry where as one pass and its done. Not needing clumps blown out etc. It always ticked me off to feel like it was a good job and drive by a few days later and see all the brown grass that blended in when we cut it.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
The idea of "professionalism" keeps changing doesn't it?

Used to be that a "professional" knew the in's and out's of his trade, saw the intricate details that were not even imagined by the layman... Had the background and the foresight to come up with great solutions that nullify the percieved drawbacks...
Professionals were helpful...

I consider "LawnCare" to mean that the "Lawn" is cared for Professionally, Not managed by the H.O.'s fanciful ideas...

Dictionary: "Professional" - One who is in the profession!
It doesn't say anything about the person actually knowing anything!!!!
Old 07-12-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscraper1 View Post
In my company, we bag most of the lawns. I am not a fan of mulching. Mulching adds alot of thatch to the lawn, spreads the weeds back into the lawn, and in no way does the lawn look better then bagging.
If a landscaper bags a lawn next to yours, your customer will see the difference. Make your customer happy, buy the bagger. Nevermind the great job it will do for cleanups. Charge more per cut, you will make up the cost.
http://urbanext.illinois.edu/lawnchallenge/lesson5.html

"Despite popular belief, short clippings dropped on the lawn after mowing are not the cause of thatch buildup". Second paragraph.

I hate when my customers say I need my lawn detached when they have no clue what thatch is or how it gets there. I usually say why. and we talk and then I save them money and they either like me or are ridiculous.