Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2011, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Catch basins

I got a drainage project for a guy, he has a neighbor who is unleashing a shitload of water on him, right now a ditch is holding the water find but pooling in the back due to poor grade.. he wants to use drain tile if possible.. It measures 180 feet because it goes behind his neighbors house. I was wondering how many catch basins can be hooked into one drainage tile? I was planning on using a 5-6 12" catch basins with 12" pipe to drain the water completely around into his neighbors ditch (this is what they agreed on)

Since the ditch is holding water fine, I assume a 12" pipe would be big enough to support the water? And is 5-6 catch basins on one 12" drain pipe pushing it (theyll be spread out)
Old 05-09-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Define how the other property is "unleashing" the water onto your guy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonslawnmanagement View Post
Define how the other property is "unleashing" the water onto your guy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Its a house sub-divison, main house on the top has a 6ft drain pipe from a mountain they put in and it unloads the water down a ditch and floods the guys property.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say 4 catch basins, 5 tops but that's a guess. We installed 3 different drainage systems this spring with similar problems. All received 4 catch basins over a 150' stretch. Connected them to a 12" main run to drain tile.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2011, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonslawnmanagement View Post
I would say 4 catch basins, 5 tops but that's a guess. We installed 3 different drainage systems this spring with similar problems. All received 4 catch basins over a 150' stretch. Connected them to a 12" main run to drain tile.
Posted via Mobile Device

So 5-6 should be okay all connected together on the same run of tile?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you are going to try and catch water out of a 6ft outflow pipe, and catch it with some small intakes linked to a 12" main line?

More questions for you

Are you going to let the bulk water go, and just try to soak up the standing water?

How long does it take for the water to go away naturally?

What is wrong with the drainage ditch that already exists? if it blocked up, can it be cleanout?

What is going to happen to the next neighbor down the line if you do your repairs to the aboved mentioned property?

The thing about flowing water and drainage lines, is that you have to find a way to slow the water down to get it to go into the drainage system. otherwise, the water will just flow right over the intakes making them usless, and pissing off the person that paid for them in the process.

J.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Peterson Grading View Post
So you are going to try and catch water out of a 6ft outflow pipe, and catch it with some small intakes linked to a 12" main line?

More questions for you

Are you going to let the bulk water go, and just try to soak up the standing water?

How long does it take for the water to go away naturally?

What is wrong with the drainage ditch that already exists? if it blocked up, can it be cleanout?

What is going to happen to the next neighbor down the line if you do your repairs to the aboved mentioned property?

The thing about flowing water and drainage lines, is that you have to find a way to slow the water down to get it to go into the drainage system. otherwise, the water will just flow right over the intakes making them usless, and pissing off the person that paid for them in the process.

J.
There isent alot of water that comes out, it just comes out down the ditch enough to cause a pool buildup on the property due to poor drainage.

The drain itself needs dug deeper but this guy is rich and would rather have a drain pipe installed and covered instead of look at the water flowing..

They all have a small ditch behind their house to catch the water.

I was thinking of having a sump to start with before flowing down the 12" drain pipe to help slow the water down.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let me rephrase.

The water comes out of the 6ft drainpipe. There is no were to go but down this guys property which runs through a ditch and then ponds up into a natural cut stream from the water running. It's not MASSIVE amounts of water comming out of the 6ft pipe (may not even be that big, i dident measure or anything) but then runs into a ditch beside the new house and there is a sinkhole which runs through rocks under the neighbors property and dissapears. The neighbor had a ditch run along his property to catch that water until the small sinkhole appeared and the water flows underneith the property under his house now. They are wanting the drainpipes to come back out on the neighbors property and continue flowing into the pre-existing ditch ran around the mountain behind the houses.

How would you slow the water? I'm thinking a sump or catch basin at the start and then let it flow through the catch basin but not sure.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would place a behive intake at the begining of your run. Build a small berm down stream of the intake to help pool the water and force it into the intake.

I would also run your 12" as perf line back filled with stone all the way to your outflow. It will help keep the yard ponding to a minimum, and you wont have to put in so many intakes.

We do projects like this all the time, but with ours we tend to do between 5 and 10 back yards at a time. We do the intake at the top of the runs, (or about every 100 to 150ft depending on the fall of the yard), a large main line that has smaller branches off of it, and try to find a good place to discharge the water.

J.

Last edited by J. Peterson Grading; 05-10-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I know in a lot of areas where I have lived that changing/disturbing the natural flow (or causing issues for the surrounding houses) might be against city/county ordance. I'd have the guy whose property is affected contact the codes department and make sure it was done according to thier areas codes. If not, the new house would have to fix it.

Ghost