Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

no stripes in Florida?

Hey everyone,
I had a question for you guys. I've been contemplating moving near Daytona Beach Florida lately as more and more of my family heads down there from NJ. I would be looking to stay in the landscape/maintenance field going down there but I noticed something this last time I was down there.

I didn't see a single stripe on any property we drove by? I mean we were all over the place for the last couple days and I didn't even see one wheel line let alone stripes. I know it's a little dry down there, but do companies purposely avoid stripes down there? I know it's a weird question, but we always want the stripes up here so it was a shock to me. Thanks for any feedback guys.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Its the grass types, it won't last more thanks a couple of days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

O ook, yea it just seemed strange. Everytime I asked someone about it they kept telling me that St. Augustine is a weed anyway. Didn't really help too much lol.

So I assume that they stripe just the same down there, but as you said it doesnt last?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Probably same in Texas ....since prices are so low we don't fool around with trying to drive in straight lines. Use the key stone cop pattern to just get it done. Customers in south consider those ruts and don't want that.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What Hess said is somewhat true, many of us do use the "keystone cop" or circle mowing pattern to avoid ruts and generally work faster in Florida.

However, the St. Augustine in Florida is very difficult to stripe. Pure St. Augustine won't hold a stripe for more than a day or so. Most of us just mow in the most effective way possible making the lawn look nice and manicured, without worrying about striping. I do have stripe pics up on here, but that was on a crappy St. Aug lawn with a lot of weed and bermuda mixed in. Personally, I mow whichever way leaves the least ruts and is the quickest, and don't worry about striping.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

with the course turfgrasses here stripes are a waste of time....they just dont hold more than a day or two at best....however, you will see from time to time a lawn that is of a more fine texture that will be striped....just not the norm here...
Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

maybe the answer to this question is again the type of grass but don't you guys alternate your patterns so the grass stands up straighter?

mowing in a circle all the time or the most efficient way all the time means the grass is getting the same way each and every week.

when i'm mowing i change up the pattern each week. yes i am mowing different grass and yes i do stripe my lawns but the pattern change is mostly done so the grass stands up straighter.

i don't put to much effort into stripping but i do have a stripe kit. but even when i'm using my 36" or 21 incher which don't have stripe kits i still never mow in a circle.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
maybe the answer to this question is again the type of grass but don't you guys alternate your patterns so the grass stands up straighter?

mowing in a circle all the time or the most efficient way all the time means the grass is getting the same way each and every week.

when i'm mowing i change up the pattern each week. yes i am mowing different grass and yes i do stripe my lawns but the pattern change is mostly done so the grass stands up straighter.

i don't put to much effort into stripping but i do have a stripe kit. but even when i'm using my 36" or 21 incher which don't have stripe kits i still never mow in a circle.
I change direction whenever I can. However, some of my cookie cutter yards in newer developments can only be mowed one way.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnosis View Post
O ook, yea it just seemed strange. Everytime I asked someone about it they kept telling me that St. Augustine is a weed anyway. Didn't really help too much lol.

So I assume that they stripe just the same down there, but as you said it doesnt last?

Thanks

Warm season grass - bermuda,zoysia,centipede,st. augustine, etc. doesn't stripe very well at all. You can get some faint striping if you burn in your mowing pattern. But its gone the next day. If you are moving south from NJ get ready for some heat and humidity.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey thanks for all the replies everyone. Yea I've been told to prepare for the heat and humidity that comes with Florida. A few people that I talked to down there were saying that the landscapers sometimes won't work past 2 or so in the afternoon because the heat gets so strong? That's a big change from up here, considering we can do 12 hours daily on average. Just from being down there a couple times and already being used to the sun, it must have sucked for the rest of the family haha.