Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
i would not consider myself one.
Yes, we know.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Yes, we know.

how? iv never talked about gardening or advanced landscaping here?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The more knowledge one has the more they can instill confidence in their customers as they tell them the why and how work needs to be done.

The more knowledge one has the more diversified work and higher paying work can be gone after.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Faulkner County Arkansas Master Gardener

Been a Master Gardener in Arkansas (Faulkner Co) since 2005. I've know guys from the industry that go through the program and then quit the program. I'm the only one in my county that continued with the program and still work as a LCO. The program has helped me and we need to put in 20 working hours and 20 learning hours each year to maintain our "certification." Doesn't take that much time, but a lot of guys don't have the time if they are are going 40+ hrs per week, and I know many that work a lot more than that.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rreyn1812 View Post
Been a Master Gardener in Arkansas (Faulkner Co) since 2005. I've know guys from the industry that go through the program and then quit the program. I'm the only one in my county that continued with the program and still work as a LCO. The program has helped me and we need to put in 20 working hours and 20 learning hours each year to maintain our "certification." Doesn't take that much time, but a lot of guys don't have the time if they are are going 40+ hrs per week, and I know many that work a lot more than that.
Here it requires 50 hour or longer training period and 75 hours of volunteer hours the first year. Then you are required 10 CEU and 35 working hours each year.

That is a lot of free hours - but assuming the knowledge you could take away would invaluable I would say it is fair. The only thing that stops me from doing it is lack of time and the fact that it is against the rules to advertise that you are a master gardener once becoming one. Without being able to use it for marketing purposes it really lowers the value of the program to me because honestly - 98% of homeowners here do not know the difference between a viburnum and say a goldmound ...they simply do not know so it is doubtful that you are going to impress them with any mass of knowledge, it is just for your own use.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
I doubt it could be a bad thing. I have known 3 and met maybe 8 others with that certificate. Not one of them could identify more than a few weeds nor had any clue as far as how to treat them other than pulling. None had any disease experiance or understanding of how things worked out there in the field. They seemed to know perrenial and annual flower names and under what conditions they would grow best. As far as being a professional..thats all relative...I have basically no formal education nor the guys that trained me and I am FAR more "professional" than any MG I have ever met. Again, it probably looks great as marketing and any knowledge you gain would be a benefit, but unless your business is perrenial gardens..you still need to know how to get a job done no matter what curve gets thrown at you as well as how to handle customers under different circumstances (weather, enviormental conditions, etc) I have asked my MG friends advice on several occasions and not once have I ever gotten anything close to answer. Learn as much as you can..but don't discount a really good lawn jockey that has tons more experiance and has likely seen it all...or as close as any of us ever will.

Well said! My Mother was once a MG & not very knowledgeable either. (Sorry Mom!) Ask her a question & she'd grab some books and start looking for the answer. She tried to get me to sign up but I said no way. I gained my experience in the field working.

MG is very popular among the elderly folk, whom have plenty of time to volunteer at the extension office.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Master Gardeners do recieve a lot of notoriety among the laypeople... The club would be good for raising your profile, but in actual learning there are many more efficient and sensible ways to become a master at your craft, than volunteering to pull weeds at the city park...
The mention of 'organic' gardening is another point to consider... When a bad idea gets pushed into the club it becomes god-like truth, becuz it is PC(politically correct)...
Actual soil science, botany and horticulture studies is the way to go... and it all on the internet now...
Old 04-05-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just figured out the best reason ever to becoming an MG.

Today we were working on a commercial property. Either anowner or just a patron comes out to talk to us.

It's a standard commercial bed, graded, fabric, plants and rive rock.

The lady states, "why are you doing this. River Rock is no good and isn't very attractive."

I tried to explain to here that it's a commercial property and this is what the client wanted, though I tried to talk them into mulch beds.

" Oh, by the way, I'm a MG, and the rock will leach lime into the soil."

Oh that's great I say, I took the course in 05' and it was a great experience. And, by the way, this is going to be washed river rock, not lime/white rock, there shouldn't be an PH issues from it.

Needless to say she pretty well went quite on me an didn't say much more.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

lime from white rocks?
Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
lime from white rocks?
Limestone, hence Lime.