Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2011, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Is my trailer axle bent?

I bought a trailer last year that has 1 axle. I dont put much on the trailer that its over loaded but the tires on the trailer were wore down bald on the insided. Unfortunately I didnt notice that until the next day because it was dark when i bought the trailer. I put new tires on and im not sure if the axle is bent and dont want to ruin new tires. The tires look like they are leaning outward at the bottom a little but it might be an optial illusion. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

There are places that straighten axels. Usually a large truck and trailer repair shop can straighten the spindles. It would be cheaper if took it off the trailer and brought it to them. More info is needed on the axel in question. What is the weight capacity? What are you hauling with it. Some of the smaller trailers are only rated for 1500 lbs. A ztr and a couple of trimmers can kill a small trailer quick.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2011, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not truely sure of the weight capacity but it is a HEAVY DUTY trailer. The railing and frame isnt just an angle iron it a rectangulary tube all around. The trailer weighted in at just over $1000 lbs and from what i have seen some of the new trailers like this one saying, it can handle over 2000 lbs. All i have is a 50" zero turn and push mower on it. I have the blower and trimer in bed of the truck. Hope that helps out.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

it is possible the trailer axel rated for 3500lbs. That is a standard wt rating for a 5 lug axel. You could buy a brand new axel and replace it, or spend the $85-170 and just get it straigtened. It is a small price to pay to keep the tires in good shape. I have had axels straightened on trailers before, but they were 7k's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2011, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Member

OK. I will call around a few places and see what I can come up with. Thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a good chance to upgrade the axle. Get one with more load than you think you will ever need and brakes!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i would bolt a new axle under it. Some simple measurements will tell you if its bent. New axles are cheap.

SOLO OPERATION
Old 05-12-2011, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

He needs to upgrade the whole assembly. New springs, mounts, u-bolts, the axel and probably tires and wheels if the number of studs changes. Not a cheap fix any more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2011, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And just while we're on the subject, there are axles that are made like this, but they are cambered in, so the bottoms of the tires are in a little bit. These are referred to as cambered axles, and are designed like this to compensate for hauling a load the majority of the time. When the load is on it, the axle is straight. I have a trailer like this.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
And just while we're on the subject, there are axles that are made like this, but they are cambered in, so the bottoms of the tires are in a little bit. These are referred to as cambered axles, and are designed like this to compensate for hauling a load the majority of the time. When the load is on it, the axle is straight. I have a trailer like this.
Mine are like this also, but when loaded the tires stand up straight.
Posted via Mobile Device