Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Home made sprayer

Hello all. I'm considering building a spray unit this year and have a few questions. I found a 1" diaphragm pump for $150 and a IR compressor for $300.

The pump is a 1" aluminum Buna-n pump that pumps 37gpm made by lincoln. Will this pump work? I use coal tar w/4lbs per gal. sand.

The compressor is a 30 gal. IR twin cylinder single stage 135psi. 14cfm@90psi. Will this work?
I can get a smaller compressor from my buddy, It's 6.5hp 8 gallon 11cfm. Will this work?

I can buy the hose, wand, tip, surge tank, valves, and plumbing at the local hardware store and sealmaster. I already have a 300gal steel tank w/agitator and a strainer on my truck, it had a spray unit on it before.

I have tallied up what I think I need and with the $450 for compressor and pump I'll be just under a grand.

I'm a paver operator for a local paving co. and I started sealing 3 years ago on the side, I do mostly residential and local small business' and gas stations, now it's to the point where I'm barely getting any sleep and I need to speed things up, but I'm on a budget, and I'd like to get this all set up before I get started this year.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

1 inch is a bit small , it might work , get a large strainer . cant hurt to try go with the larger compressor if you have to buy a larger pump it will still work , plumb in a bypass back to the tank also
Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I went with the bigger compressor and I bought a 1.5" sandpiper. The local sealmaster plant says its perfect for what I'm doing. I got a 50ft hose, a wand with a few tips, and the suction hose/cam lock quick connects. I still need my expansion/surge tank and some odds and ends from the hardware store.

anyone in ne ohio striping?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Surge tank is simple , put a tee in the 1.5 in discharge line and run a piece of pipe up a foot or two and put on a cap , does the same thing , I have a 550 factory set up and thats all it is .

Go buy a striper , then you know the job will be done on time , done right , and you get paid faster .
Old 05-13-2011, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I got it up and running. It sprays water good. I'll get some sealer this weekend and play with it some more but the weatherman says no sealing for the next 5 days lol.