Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-12-2011, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Glyphosate rate for Jasmine

I want to kill some Jasmine but my current rate of quick pro at 1.5oz per gallon isn't doing the job. What rate should I use to kill it and what rate should I use to kill Bermuda and Sage growing in it. This is my personal yard so no comments on get a license bull.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

diquat with sticker
Old 05-12-2011, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkownfl View Post
I want to kill some Jasmine but my current rate of quick pro at 1.5oz per gallon isn't doing the job. What rate should I use to kill it and what rate should I use to kill Bermuda and Sage growing in it. This is my personal yard so no comments on get a license bull.
Unknown

If this is your own jasmine and you are not buying commercial size package of Chemicals, Try Weed Be Gone from Home Cheapo. Weed Be Gone is a 3 way Herbicide and has 2,4-D, and Diacambia etc. It should kill your jasmine.

The U of F recommends 3 oz of Roundup and 1,5 oz of fusilade per thousand applied 4 times two weeks apart to kill Bermuda.

SEDGE is a water grass and Certainty. Image or Dismiss are Sedge Herbicides but take multiply treatments over a period of time to control Sedge.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive123 View Post
diquat with sticker

before u suggest something u should at least try it to see if it works. diquat does a top burn from point of contact and with little burn back on woody type plants. years ago i tried it to kill a viburnum hedge row. burned off all of the leaves within 5 days. A month later the homeowner called and said the hedge is beautiful they wanted to keep it now.What ever I sprayed on it made it beautiful and they thanked me for saving the hedge row......
Old 05-13-2011, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Try Ric's suggestion about a broad leaf weed killer for the Jasmine because Roundup will not hurt it. I spray RU in my Jasmine beds all the time to control weeds because it seems to have zero effect on the Jasmine.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bug_guy View Post

before u suggest something u should at least try it to see if it works. diquat does a top burn from point of contact and with little burn back on woody type plants. years ago i tried it to kill a viburnum hedge row. burned off all of the leaves within 5 days. A month later the homeowner called and said the hedge is beautiful they wanted to keep it now.What ever I sprayed on it made it beautiful and they thanked me for saving the hedge row......
Opey in Mayberry

Dave

I have got to tell a tale about you. Several Years ago I was your Go To Guy. But you snatched the pebble from my hand and now I am your Grasshopper. You have been a True friend and have help me now more than I helped you.

Thank You

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If this is Brazillian jasmine I have found that muriatic acid gets rid of it quick. I had vines up to 3 inches thick growing in the backyard of a home I bought, so I poured the acid around the base. The leaves dried up in a few weeks.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
If this is Brazillian jasmine I have found that muriatic acid gets rid of it quick. I had vines up to 3 inches thick growing in the backyard of a home I bought, so I poured the acid around the base. The leaves dried up in a few weeks.
is that on the label or is the site listed? as a licensee we cant put it out legally
Old 05-13-2011, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wouldn't that ruin the soil? Or at least make it difficult to grow anything in the future?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The reaction of an acid and a base is a salt. Hydrochloric acid reacts with the calcium carbonate (coral rock) to form calcium chloride and carbon dioxide with some water. That is the same salt used up north to clear roads. It seems to cause some soil sterility but after a few months things seem to grow back.

Of course Big Brother would not approve of the use of this as an herbicide, but for a homeowner who is not going to call the EPA I guess it's ok. You would be shocked to see the things people use to kill weeds like motor oil, battery acid, junk car gasoline, diesel, etc. I remember when the county government would use spent chemicals to kill weeds. Copper solutions are the worst because they persist in the soil. One area behind the old motor pool shop still does not grow a single weed on the hardened bare ground.