Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-27-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Z-Spray questions

Hi Guys,
I am looking at buying a z-spray but at this point am not sure which one to go with. Can any of you guys who own/owned one comment on the size you had. I currently only do commercial but am going to venture into resi this season. I guess i am a little worried the z-max is too big ( for the cost i am really not sure i need to carry 300plus lbs ect, i could just refill..I do the apps myself, not paying an employee) and a z-junior will be too unstable on hills. any real life observations will really help....so will some SNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
see ya,
Steve
Old 01-27-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Intermediate....perfect fit
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was gonna say, don't plan on using the larger Z machines on 6K sq ft resi's. Would be like a bull in a china shop.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-28-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
Hi Guys,
I am looking at buying a z-spray but at this point am not sure which one to go with. Can any of you guys who own/owned one comment on the size you had. I currently only do commercial but am going to venture into resi this season. I guess i am a little worried the z-max is too big ( for the cost i am really not sure i need to carry 300plus lbs ect, i could just refill..I do the apps myself, not paying an employee) and a z-junior will be too unstable on hills. any real life observations will really help....so will some SNOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
see ya,
Steve
I went with the JR36 for a few reasons...

1. I thought I needed to get into every back yard that has a gate. Turns out I only have 10-15 out of 400 customers that I really needed the smaller machine for. I always carry a belly grinder with me so I tend to not even ride the machine into most back lawns
2. I loaded my PG's thru a side door on my trailer (pallets went thru the swing out rear doors)

as it turns out the Z is only less than 36" when going forward, not backwards. The little bars that are welded onto the front wheels (part of the front wheel lock system) sticks out when going backwards so its 38" wide.

My next trailer I had a custom front door put on...
but the machine is too heavy for that door and Ive had problems with the hinges breaking...so I just load my machine thru the back now using a couple metal ramps.

I was also surprised in how poorly the little machine did on hills. However it didn't take long to figure out how to use the machine on these hills so its easy to adjust the way you work to make it fit. Work your way from the bottom up and always turn with the front wheels going up the hill. Or like I do now just carry one of these and get off once and a while

so in the end I wish I purchased one a little bigger so it would be better on hills. I do 95% resadental with a few soccer complex's and industrial parks mixed in. Ive never had a issue with the size of the spray tanks I have... or the fact the hopper just barely holds 100lbs
Old 01-28-2012, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I was gonna say, don't plan on using the larger Z machines on 6K sq ft resi's. Would be like a bull in a china shop.
I use my max on everything.

6k lawns that need a weed spray and fert are a snap with the max.

The first 1 1/2 I had it I never used it on residentials and then felt that the machine was sitting too much and started using it on residentials and now I use it every day, no matter the size of the lawn.

Put a hand crank on the truck and there isnt much that you cant get to. Most people around here put larger gates on the fence for the guys to get 48" mowers into the yard, for those that dont I just hand crank or push because I might have 1 or 2 a week that I cant get into.

Good luck. You will love the extra capaicity on the commercial accounts and even the residential, put 3 bags in the hopper and you wont even notice the weight but now you can get multiple houses without having to reload.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I have an Intermediate and can get on every size lawn, obliviously a lawn that is just 2 or 3K you would walk any way, 6k would be no problem I use the Z on everything. This from someone who actually owns one. From the smallest too the largest no problem.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Intermediate is the best size. JR machines with the small tires are not that great on hills.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

int is the best size, but we own all three. overall , i like the max best and i use it on any size lawn. i dont get why you guys cant do small lawns with a large machine, just less passes!!. not like mowing week after week with too big a machine or anything.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies guys...probably gonna look at the INT. I have found a couplea with a Briggs but I'm a KAW guy not a Briggs guy,.... i may have to settle for what i can find
Steve
Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to the free equipment and parts marketplace on the site, there's a thread End of Year Equipment Sale, these units seem to have very few hours I would check it out. It's like on the 4th page