Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-14-2011, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag vs. Kubota

Ok here's the deal, I have a Scag 36 WB with advantage deck and an 04 54" kubota ztr. My Scag cuts better than the kubota. I'm looking to buy a new ztr and thinking of going with Scag turf tiger instead of a new kubota. My question is hopefully someone here has ran both mowers to compare the cut quality of the turf tiger with the new kubota pro deck. I cut in all conditions, wet, dry, tall, short, thick, thin. I cut today in tall, thick, wet and my Scag blew kubotas old deck out of the water. My complaint with my kubota is stingers, clumpy discharge in slightest wet conditions, and blades must be kept razor sharp, daily, to keep decent cut quality. So someone help me in cut quality of Scag turf tiger vs kubota pro deck. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2011, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

scag velocity cuts better than kubota...everyone knows that pretty much
Old 05-14-2011, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was looking for a little more in depth analysis actually. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2011, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

as in what?...it cuts better...what more info do you need?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
I was looking for a little more in depth analysis actually. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe someone with actual experience of using both mower/deck combo's in the conditions that you described, that you mentioned previously, will give you some feedback from their experiences while using them.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I can't speak for the new Kubota decks as I have only used their older decks which were awesome for large acreage. But I have a velocity deck and its amazing. Has an adjustable baffle for different conditions. I cut a lot of wet tall grass with no clumping or stringers. The velocity has a lot of discharge presure and a huge opening to spread the clippings out evenly. The velocity deck is a huge bonus when buying a Scag and in my opinion the best all around cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

honestly, they both cut about as good, but the scag will discharge better and also scalp easier and more often. this is from experience
Old 05-14-2011, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
honestly, they both cut about as good, but the scag will discharge better and also scalp easier and more often. this is from experience
This is the kind of stuff I wanted to know. I knew you had kubotas and was hoping you had used a Scag to give me a decent review.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2011, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
Ok here's the deal, I have a Scag 36 WB with advantage deck and an 04 54" kubota ztr. My Scag cuts better than the kubota. I'm looking to buy a new ztr and thinking of going with Scag turf tiger instead of a new kubota. My question is hopefully someone here has ran both mowers to compare the cut quality of the turf tiger with the new kubota pro deck. I cut in all conditions, wet, dry, tall, short, thick, thin. I cut today in tall, thick, wet and my Scag blew kubotas old deck out of the water. My complaint with my kubota is stingers, clumpy discharge in slightest wet conditions, and blades must be kept razor sharp, daily, to keep decent cut quality. So someone help me in cut quality of Scag turf tiger vs kubota pro deck. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device
I demoed a scag tiger cat, hustler z4, exmark lazar Z, and Kubota zg last year before I decided to buy the Kubota. The New Pro Decks are awesome they have solved all of the problems with the previous decks it will leave a cut as if it was done with a lazar very even and smooth I have had 0 problems with scalping and discharge is very even hardly ever do I have to go back with my blower to spread out clippings exception is very very tall grass that has not been cut in over a month. And I was able to buy my zg for $1500 less than any of the others mentioned. Kubota has steped up to the plate and all of there ztr are made and enginered better that anything out there its built like a D10 dozer.
Kubota W5021 Commercial
Exmark Metro 21
Stihl SG 20
Stihl FS 110 R
Stihl FS 55 R
Stihl MS 290
Stihl HS 45
Husqvarna 123L
Husqvarna 356BT
Echo Pas 225
McLane Edger
7 X 14 Smith Built Trailer
Old 05-14-2011, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffram View Post
I demoed a scag tiger cat, hustler z4, exmark lazar Z, and Kubota zg last year before I decided to buy the Kubota. The New Pro Decks are awesome they have solved all of the problems with the previous decks it will leave a cut as if it was done with a lazar very even and smooth I have had 0 problems with scalping and discharge is very even hardly ever do I have to go back with my blower to spread out clippings exception is very very tall grass that has not been cut in over a month. And I was able to buy my zg for $1500 less than any of the others mentioned. Kubota has steped up to the plate and all of there ztr are made and enginered better that anything out there its built like a D10 dozer.
Thanks, I'm going to demo both but just wanted to get an idea of what to expect.
Posted via Mobile Device