Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-02-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Domain name help?

Ive narrowed my choices down to a select few and I was just wondering if any of you guys could offer some advice. this is my first website and I just cant decide on what would work best. My company name is Conner Lawn & Landscape Management. So what do you guys think?

connermanagement.com
connermgmt.com
connerlandmgmt.com
connerllm.com
connerlandscape.com- I think this would probably be the best for SEO purposes (not that I know anything about that), but I just want to make it clear that at the moment, my company mostly focuses on full maintenance. Ive done some small installs here recently(shrub, tree, seasonal color), but I don't want to give people the wrong impression that Im more centered around design/install rather than full maintenance(mowing, fert/squirt, fall cleanups, etc) . I may be over thinking it, but I just wanted to see what some of the experts on here think. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Everything should reinforce your brand and what you do. No one knows what the heck "land management" is, and the variations of connermanagement could mean you do property management, management consulting, or who knows what. The last one is the only one that makes sense to me.

Don't overthink it. Your homeowners aren't splitting out lawncare and landscape as different things, which is why you get the rookie lawn guy asked to take on a hardscape project way over his head, and design-builds get calls for mowing. It's all the same to them.

With the "management" stuff, just be careful not to push yourself into a term no one else knows. I worked for a design-build firm that was called [owner's name] Construction Management. It was so, so stupid because no one had a clue what we did unless they were a direct, word of mouth referral. Think about it. You flip open the phone book to landscape contractors and see that, what are you going to assume?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

connerlandscape.com by far.

It is the only name the conveys what you do at all, and it is definitely an SEO win.

If you are worried about people thinking you do design/install, just be sure that your home page is extremely clear about what you do- should not be a problem (and also an SEO win).
Old 12-02-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea that's really what I was thinking. Thanks so much for the help! I've been a lurker for a little while now and a lot of you guys have helped me out in a lot of ways. Just wanted to say thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Sponsor

I agree… connorlandscape.com

Even at the most basic level, if you cant “say” your website – your customers are going to get confused. For example, “Connor Landscape dot com” vs “ Connor m-g-m-t dot com” means more room for a customer to forget, misspell, or worst case end up on another landscapers site altogether.

I would also consider buying all the domains you listed. You can easily redirect the others to point at your primary address. I use a company called dyn.com for domain and dns – they do a great job. Buy them ASAP too. Easier to spend $25 now and have the name than discover a competitor has it …

Good luck!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 603turfdepot View Post
I agree… connorlandscape.com

Even at the most basic level, if you cant “say” your website – your customers are going to get confused. For example, “Connor Landscape dot com” vs “ Connor m-g-m-t dot com” means more room for a customer to forget, misspell, or worst case end up on another landscapers site altogether.

I would also consider buying all the domains you listed. You can easily redirect the others to point at your primary address. I use a company called dyn.com for domain and dns – they do a great job. Buy them ASAP too. Easier to spend $25 now and have the name than discover a competitor has it …
ASAP might be a bit rash. You just laid out the most compelling reason why connermgmt.com is a terrible domain name. If a competitor wants connermgmt.com, connerllm.com, or connerlandmgt.com, I say let them have at it. It's almost as useless a domain names as connerxpzrq.com. If there's no rational, or real, need for a domain name, it's a waste of time and money to bother buying them and forwarding them to a primary domain. If no one knows it exists, there's no point in forwarding it.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Sponsor

I wouldn’t buy them with the intention of using them… only because he mentioned, I’d pick up to protect his brand. My concern was someone trolling this site and grabbed the domain he wanted first.

What are your thoughts on variations? For example: landscapeS, landscapING, landscaperS… A good insurance policy?
Old 12-03-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I wouldn’t buy them with the intention of using them… only because he mentioned, I’d pick up to protect his brand. My concern was someone trolling this site and grabbed the domain he wanted first.
Now I follow you. Definitely register as soon as you ask a question about domain name choices on a public forum.
Quote:
What are your thoughts on variations? For example: landscapeS, landscapING, landscaperS… A good insurance policy?
I'm ambivalent on that. I tend to view hyperlocal web sites as different from regional/national brands. Variations can exist as a safety net for the direct type-in traffic, if you really think it's necessary, or to protect against someone grabbing those and trying to trade off of your name, but how realistic is that?

To me, the number one thing is to grab a suitable .com name and go. I think the bigger issue company's face, in this similar vein of thought, is having a .net when someone else has the same name, albeit as a .com.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Now I follow you. Definitely register as soon as you ask a question about domain name choices on a public forum.

I'm ambivalent on that. I tend to view hyperlocal web sites as different from regional/national brands. Variations can exist as a safety net for the direct type-in traffic, if you really think it's necessary, or to protect against someone grabbing those and trying to trade off of your name, but how realistic is that?

To me, the number one thing is to grab a suitable .com name and go. I think the bigger issue company's face, in this similar vein of thought, is having a .net when someone else has the same name, albeit as a .com.
Yeah, I heard about a guy who was emailing companies, trying to gauge interest in a directory site BEFORE he registered the domain and someone snagged it. I'm sure it messed up his day.

As far as preventing someone from trading off your business name, I think it's more important to have legal protections like trademark in place. My friend's business site is the equivalent to companyname.com and a few weeks ago he started getting angry calls from people 1,000 miles away that "his" salesguy took their deposit and never came back to do the work. Turns out they had copied his name, logo, all his branding and set up a local site by just adding a hyphen (so it was company-name.com). His attorney pursued it aggressively and they got the damage under control, but to me it shows that you can't lock down every permutation of the domain name but you can take other legal protections. And you should.