Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Poison Ivy and walkway clearing

First post over here in the organic section, please be kind.

To start, I am not licensed to apply any sort of pesticide in my state. I'm not going to do the applying myself of any information i receive here. I am interested in getting information for one of my customers who, to make a long short, has a very good reason to be completely terrified of any chemicals at all.

With that said, she has a paver walkway that is becoming quickly overgrown with grass and weeds that she does not want to be there at all. Also, she is now beginning to get a very bad case of poison ivy in her back yard, climbing both a large oak tree and her privacy fence.

Any suggestions to either kill or at least stunt the growth of either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

*as an aside, I have read on here on several occasions that high concentrate vinegar works similar to glysophate. is this true, and where would one go about finding that product?

My business provides quality lawn care, but more than that, we offer even higher customer service.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyTrain View Post
First post over here in the organic section, please be kind.

To start, I am not licensed to apply any sort of pesticide in my state. I'm not going to do the applying myself of any information i receive here. I am interested in getting information for one of my customers who, to make a long short, has a very good reason to be completely terrified of any chemicals at all.

With that said, she has a paver walkway that is becoming quickly overgrown with grass and weeds that she does not want to be there at all. Also, she is now beginning to get a very bad case of poison ivy in her back yard, climbing both a large oak tree and her privacy fence.

Any suggestions to either kill or at least stunt the growth of either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

*as an aside, I have read on here on several occasions that high concentrate vinegar works similar to glysophate. is this true, and where would one go about finding that product?
Use a propane weed burner for the paver driveway.

There are a number of products that will top kill poison ivy; Avenger and Burn Out and 20% vinegar come to mind. Several applications are required.
They do not translocate and kill roots as glysophate does. Do not use a propane torch on PI!

applying glysophate while she is away on vacation might be the best choice for killing the PI.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-17-2011, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not going to lie, I've never heard of a propane weed burner, but I'm now very interested. Do you have any suggestions on make/model, etc. Also, half the area around the pavers is a privacy fence. Having never used a propane weed burner, I'm making an assumption that using such a product would not be useful around a fence or the home, correct?

My business provides quality lawn care, but more than that, we offer even higher customer service.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm not going to lie, I've never heard of a propane weed burner, but I'm now very interested. Do you have any suggestions on make/model, etc. Also, half the area around the pavers is a privacy fence. Having never used a propane weed burner, I'm making an assumption that using such a product would not be useful around a fence or the home, correct?
Here is one example;
Attached Images

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-17-2011, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

you can also use a string trimmer to keep the things growing in the pavers short and maybe that will be enough, especially when it gets hot

Barry who gave the reply earlier has a couple of products, heed what he says on use for poison ivy
www.techterraorganics.com/
Old 05-18-2011, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Put household bleach in a hand held spray bottle. Spraying the poison ivy with bleach will kill it. Ususally takes two applications. Spray about a week apart until the PI is dead.

If you don't mind bending down you can use a small hand held propane burner like the type plumbers use to sweat pipes for the weeds in the cracks.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Burning PI puts the poison in the air, for sure... If possible go a head and pull it out by the roots and take it away... The dead plants still have the poisonous oils in place for another season in most cases... I was never allergic, but now I'm moderately allergic, so I use big gloves and wash thoroughly with fels-naptha soap immediately after...

Oh, and I found out that you don't want to use the standard propane tank, used for grilling... There is a valve built into those tanks the reduce the amount of gas available for "Safety Reasons". Find a tank with adequate gas flow, otherwise your likely to have problems with keeping the torch lit... especially the smaller tips that you'll want to use for pavers...
Old 05-18-2011, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Put household bleach in a hand held spray bottle. Spraying the poison ivy with bleach will kill it. Ususally takes two applications. Spray about a week apart until the PI is dead.

If you don't mind bending down you can use a small hand held propane burner like the type plumbers use to sweat pipes for the weeds in the cracks.
As an aside--at least here in MI--if you would use vinegar or a bleach solution to control weeds and you are being paid for such controls, it would be classified as a pesticide and need to be labeled as such. And you would need to be licensed.