Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2011, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Help on insurance for lawn company

I want to get insurance, but dont know if its worth it, I need your help! I would want insurance mostly so I can start doing commercial lawns. But how much is it? Also what companys have "good insurance"

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Exmark Vantage 36"
Ariens Zoom 34"

Husqvarna 22" HU800BBC

2 Husqvarna 327RJX Trimmers
Husqvarna 350BT Blower
Toro blow/suck

MTD edger
Old 05-16-2011, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call you insurance agent and ask if they do business as well. Yes get insure. If you break a window with a rock, Do you want to pay for that out of pocket? Burn lawn with fert, You have the money to replace 10k of sod for a commercial building? Price depends on how much coverage you want
Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshutter View Post
Call you insurance agent and ask if they do business as well. Yes get insure. If you break a window with a rock, Do you want to pay for that out of pocket? Burn lawn with fert, You have the money to replace 10k of sod for a commercial building? Price depends on how much coverage you want
Thank you very much for the help! This helps a lot!

Exmark Vantage 36"
Ariens Zoom 34"

Husqvarna 22" HU800BBC

2 Husqvarna 327RJX Trimmers
Husqvarna 350BT Blower
Toro blow/suck

MTD edger
Old 05-17-2011, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I pay $500 a year for 1/2 million coverage, which is what my commercial properties require.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ask for general liability insurance.This will cover you from any damaged you cause on a client or passer by and property damage. Ask for window breakage, some will sneak this in as exclusion and you don't know it. And some times pay as much as if you had widow breakage coverage. Shop around. While your making the plunge you might look into commercial vehicle coverage for your truck and trailer. Your just as apt to have or be involved in a traffic accident as you are cause injury or damage while mowing. Without commercial vehicle policy your chances of getting your current policy to pay much of anything after a accident is slim to none. Your using your truck in a commercial way and your regular auto policy will not cover all the expensive equipment you have.

My 2 mill liability and commercial auto is around $1300 a year.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhardin53 View Post
Ask for general liability insurance.This will cover you from any damaged you cause on a client or passer by and property damage. Ask for window breakage, some will sneak this in as exclusion and you don't know it. And some times pay as much as if you had widow breakage coverage. Shop around. While your making the plunge you might look into commercial vehicle coverage for your truck and trailer. Your just as apt to have or be involved in a traffic accident as you are cause injury or damage while mowing. Without commercial vehicle policy your chances of getting your current policy to pay much of anything after a accident is slim to none. Your using your truck in a commercial way and your regular auto policy will not cover all the expensive equipment you have.

My 2 mill liability and commercial auto is around $1300 a year.
I better double check with mine and make sure they didnt try and slip anything past me. Thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out Hortica.com.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are under 18 it is almost impossible to get, also you will have to charge sales tax to be able to get those commecial ones.
mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have $1mil/$2mil general liability policy and its about $800+/- a year. It covers all my equipment and protects me should something happen. I go through Farm Bureau.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-18-2011, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Brad, Your liability covers all your equipment? Are you sure about that? My liability is just that, liability. I have a separate inland policy that covers my equipment. I pay around $600 for $2mil liability and another $700+/- for my equipment rider. Commercial auto is another story.
Posted via Mobile Device