Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2011, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
That's a BS website. Look at the truck in the picture, it's the old style front end, pre-2004. The HP specs they give are for the pre-07 Classic style. The new 6.0 and Duramax HP specs are much higher. If someone could actually show me a brand new 2011 or 2012 Silverado with an 8.1 engine in it I would gladly pull off the wiper blade inserts and eat them like black licorice.
I suppose in hindsight I should have added a disclaimer to my post indicating it's best to use your own judgement. I would have preferred confirmation directly from GM, but it was the best I could find. I'm admittedly unfamiliar with that site, and I suppose it could be just blowing smoke. It did seem odd to me that I could find no announcement from GM regarding the possible return of the 8.1 Vortec.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerewashed View Post
unless you pull 20,000 pounds and dont have a diesel station near you dont get it. I have one and am going to sell it right after i am done with all my installs
Best advice yet...................

Kubota KX121-3
E-Z Screen 500XL
Isuzu FRR w/Switch-n-Go
John Deere CT 322
Turbo Turf 300E hydroseeder
Harley Mx8H
FFC Preparator
Old 05-21-2011, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstSvcs View Post
Best advice yet...................
If I didn't have an equipment payment........I would have a truck payment on a 2500 HD / Duramax.........

The best milage my '03 2500HD, 4wd, extended cab, long bed Sierra ever reached was empty........highway = 15mpg @ 65 mph

Loaded with a 1100 lb Reading "Plus 8" steel utility cap, tools and fuel tank, the best I can get is 8

My Isuzu FRR cabover loaded higher mpg.

I love the ride...........but would never buy another gas powered HD work truck. I feel that a vehicle purchased for work needs to run 200K plus miles with low operating cost. Keep it clean, run it 8+ years and sell it off....roll the proceeds from the sale into a new vehicle and start over.

let me remind you that the North American continent is the largest market for gasoline work trucks.

Kubota KX121-3
E-Z Screen 500XL
Isuzu FRR w/Switch-n-Go
John Deere CT 322
Harley Mx8H
FFC Preparator
Old 05-22-2011, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstSvcs
I love the ride...........but would never buy another gas powered HD work truck. I feel that a vehicle purchased for work needs to run 200K plus miles with low operating cost. Keep it clean, run it 8+ years and sell it off....roll the proceeds from the sale into a new vehicle and start over.
That's why everyone needs to analyze their own situation and buy what works for them. I bought a new gas truck in '05 and am glad I didn't buy diesel. The diesel was $9K more, and with as few miles as I run I would still be years away from making that $9K back in fuel savings. But if I towed heavy 25K miles per year diesel would have been the way to go. Even then, you couldn't give me a new diesel what with all the emission garbage on them, but that's a different topic altogether.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed Hosejockey !

Kubota KX121-3
E-Z Screen 500XL
Isuzu FRR w/Switch-n-Go
John Deere CT 322
Harley Mx8H
FFC Preparator
Old 05-22-2011, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleaf landscape View Post
My buddy picked up a new 2500 HD with the 8.1 in it. Bad ass motor. It's not on there website yet. Just to let you guys know.
Have you physically seen/driven this truck? Pics would be the proof it exists. If your routinely towing 20k, you need a deisel. Remember when guys thought V10's were worth the extra expense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2011, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to drag out the thin oil on a " bad a$$ motor" thing but this is quoted direct from my 8.1L owners manual:

" as the chart shown previously, SAE 5W-30 is the only viscosity grade recommended for your vehicle. You should look for and use only oils which have the API Starburst symbol and which are also identified as SAE 5W-30. if you cannot find such SAE 5W-30 oils, you can use SAE 10W-30 which has the API Starburst symbol, if it's going to be 0 F (-18 C) or above. DO NOT USE other viscosity grade oils such as SAE 10W-40 or SAE 20W-50 under any conditions "

With the assumed engine loads under marine and industrial
applications and the acceptable GM oil consumption .......... It wouldn't be my motor of choice in a harsh operating environment.

Now I wouldn't have the same opinion if we were discussing an older 454 or 496 !!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2011, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This thread is hilarious. My old 5.9 will beat up on an 8.1 all day, every day, and for years after the 8.1 is dead, and get double the mileage all while going 20,000 miles between oil changes. I couldn't think of a dumber purchase.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
This thread is hilarious. My old 5.9 will beat up on an 8.1 all day, every day, and for years after the 8.1 is dead, and get double the mileage all while going 20,000 miles between oil changes. I couldn't think of a dumber purchase.
Only need three transmissions in a Dodge before the 8.1 dies...
Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
And you would need to find a good deal where to buy stock for Duracell or Energizer for all the batteries you will go through for your hearing aids from that LOUD and LOUDER CLACKER of an engine.I thought this thread was on the 8.1,NOT your oil burner.