Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
This thread is hilarious. My old 5.9 will beat up on an 8.1 all day, every day, and for years after the 8.1 is dead, and get double the mileage all while going 20,000 miles between oil changes. I couldn't think of a dumber purchase.
I couldn't be happier with my 8.1. And I'm super glad I didn't go with a diesel. I can get a new drop in block for the same price as a turbo on a diesel, so when it comes to repairs, I'll be cheaper in the end.

Besides, the 8.1 was a marine motor. If boat owners can depend on it to not break down in the water, then I can depend on it to not break down in a 12 inch snow storm.

Just want to add also, if I was running my dump everyday for everything I do, then it wouldn't be economical and a diesel might have been better. But, to have a dump with plenty of power and dependability to get used whenever I really need it, then I feel I made a great decision.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Have you physically seen/driven this truck? Pics would be the proof it exists. If your routinely towing 20k, you need a deisel. Remember when guys thought V10's were worth the extra expense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure what you mean by the V10 being an extra expense. Do you mean actual expense over the gas V8 or fuel consumption over the gas V8? If you are towing heavy over longer distances, by all means, the diesel is the way to go. But for more local towing, over short distances, frequent stops, I think the V10 was money well spent. It was a cheap option and the difference in fuel mileage with a similarly equipped gas V8 is negligible.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That was my point the V10's (ford & dodge) were fuel pigs. There was not much price difference between them and diesels. The towing performance was always better with the diesels. The small initial cost savings was quickly ate up by fuel usage. I have had one of each and economy was never above 10 mpg unloaded. Loaded was 6mpg. IMHO the 5.9 Cummins was the best all around engine ever put in a 3/4-1 ton chassis.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2011, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The small initial cost savings was quickly ate up by fuel usage. I have had one of each and economy was never above 10 mpg unloaded.
Posted via Mobile Device
That was the main deciding factor in my decision. The economy difference on a larger Cab and Chassis was negligible at best. You might have achieved 12 in a diesel and 10 in a gasser.

My 8.1 gets 10 across the board, loaded or unloaded.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Have you physically seen/driven this truck? Pics would be the proof it exists. If your routinely towing 20k, you need a deisel. Remember when guys thought V10's were worth the extra expense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes I have seen the truck and he gave me a ride around the neighborhood in it as well. It's a legit 2012 8.1.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
That was my point the V10's (ford & dodge) were fuel pigs. There was not much price difference between them and diesels. The towing performance was always better with the diesels. The small initial cost savings was quickly ate up by fuel usage. I have had one of each and economy was never above 10 mpg unloaded. Loaded was 6mpg. IMHO the 5.9 Cummins was the best all around engine ever put in a 3/4-1 ton chassis.
Posted via Mobile Device
When I bought my 6.8 v10, (I wasn't towing, nor driving, enough to justify the diesel) the price delta between it and the diesel was about $6000. I thought that very significant at that time, and it's only gotten worse. My MPGs are a consistent 12-13 around town, 15-16 highway, and 9-10 towing. From what I read, the diesel option only gave marginal (2-3) MPG improvements, and significantly less reliability.

The 5.9 cummins was, by every report I've seen, the last great engine that balanced performance and economy.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I called my dealer the other day to see if the 8.1 was really going to be available again and he said he has not heard anything about it so he called his rep from GM and they told him that the 8.1 is not available and probably never will be, they did say there would be a new gas engine but not until the next body redesign in 2014.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So how did the OP come across a truck even the factory says doesn't exist? Let's see engine tag pics or I have to call shenanagans.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2011, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleaf landscape View Post
Yes I have seen the truck and he gave me a ride around the neighborhood in it as well. It's a legit 2012 8.1.
With the factories not yet switched over to make 2012's, and them not on the dealer lots yet, and that 2012's are not for sale until the fall, how does this guy have one now?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

SHENANAGAN'S!
Posted via Mobile Device