Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-20-2011, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam.at.Heritage View Post
What? No stripes?? Haha, looks good.... I personally would have tried to incorporate a bed along that massive wall to try and scale it down, I can see you have a bed in at the one side but a little more wouldn't hurt.
The other issue with doing it this way is that the SynLawn comes in 15' wide rolls. And there was about 31' between the house and that rock wall. So it was perfect for 2 rolls side by side and that took it just 1' away from the big rock wall. If we had wanted to create a planting bed there near the rock wall that would mean we'd be cutting off and wasting about 40'x3' of SynLawn. At almost $6 per sq. ft. that's a good $720 of Synlawn you're throwing away. This customer, like most we do SynLawn for, really hate wasting any of it, since it costs so damm much. This guy wanted us to use every sq. inch. And we tried. There was very little waste on this project. So again, another reason why we didn't do that.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So now you need to sell the guy a walk behind turf vac.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No kidding. That stuff gets messy looking so easily!!! We finished at noon and I took some photos then and when I came back to take some more photos at 6:00 after the sun was on the other side of the house, it was already littered with leaves, cherry blossoms, little twigs, etc.

I told him he's going to need a good blower.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How long does this stuff last for? and whats the maintenance like on it? how do you clean it when it gets dirty?
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 05-22-2011, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looks good Jim.

I've had a couple of clients inquire about synthetic turf, good to know it comes out looking good in the end.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
How long does this stuff last for? and whats the maintenance like on it? how do you clean it when it gets dirty?
SynLawn has a 10-year no-fade warranty on that product. As for durability, I don't know for sure. We've been installing it for several years and haven't ever had anyone call me back and say they had problems with it.

Maintenance depends a little on what kind of synthetic turf you use. Many varieties require an infill product that is swept in between the blades of the grass. (see photo below for example). They do this because these varieties of turf don't stand up well on their own. They tend to lay down or look somewhat flattened. They need the infill for balast - to keep the blades sticking straight up. That kind of turf requires a little more maintenance because infill needs to be replaced occasionally. I haven't ever installed a variety that requires infill because I don't like that stuff. It trackes on shoes and pets feet over to decks, patios, inside, etc. big mess.

INFILL:

Otherwise, the better synthetic turf is thick enough to not require any infill. So less maintenance. The main thing is blowing it off regularly. Leaves, blossoms, etc. will land and make the lawn look a little messy. Otherwise, any synthatic turf can look a little flat or start to lay down over time. So occasional re-brooming of it is necessary to get the blades to stand back up straight. A power broom is the easiest way to do this. But not everyone has a power broom. So you can do it with a shop broom or even a real powerful blower.

POWER BROOM:

Otherwise, there's very little maintenance. In fact, none of the maintenance is mandatory or time sensitive. Which is why people love synthetic turf. No mowing, edging, weeding, fertilizing, watering, re-seeding, muddy spots, low spots, etc. You can install it and literally do almost nothing to it (except blow it off, like you would any hardscape) for quite a long time and it just stays looking nice.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Looks good Jim.

I've had a couple of clients inquire about synthetic turf, good to know it comes out looking good in the end.
Fairly easy to install, as long as you get some hands-on training first or during your first install. It comes in 15' rolls. So if you have an area that is wider than 15', then you have to get into seaming. And THAT is a real PITA to get right. We had the owner of the local SynLawn distributorship out there helping us with this one, just to make sure we got the seams right. It was quite difficult. And he said that's the #1 reason they get call backs at the SynLawn office - because contractors didn't do the seam correctly and now you can see this big line across the lawn. So again, some really good hands-on training or a whole lot of studying (online videos, etc.) I think would be an absolute requirement if you ever had to do a job with a seam.

We've done several installations where the lawn never got more than 15' wide. So there was no seaming involved in those. They go in a whole lot easier! But there is still the issue of stretching. It's just like carpet stretching. But if you've never done that, it's a little tricky too. Otherwise, overall, it's not too awful difficult. No more than pavers, really. If you remember the first time you did pavers, it's sort of the same thing. Very scary at first, and if you screw up any part of it a lot can go wrong. But once you get used to doing pavers, it seems pretty easy. Same thing here. Just gotta be really precise on your seams.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious. What about weeds? I am not referring to growth from under the Syn-Lawn, but weed seed germination among the blades of the Syn-Lawn where small bits of wind blown organics will be trapped and accumulate. If Syn-Lawn has a woven base like the original Astro-Turf, weed roots will easily penetrate this layer to reach the soil below.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Just curious. What about weeds? I am not referring to growth from under the Syn-Lawn, but weed seed germination among the blades of the Syn-Lawn where small bits of wind blown organics will be trapped and accumulate. If Syn-Lawn has a woven base like the original Astro-Turf, weed roots will easily penetrate this layer to reach the soil below.
I seriously doubt it. But I guess it could happen. If someone let enough leaves build up and disintegrate, maybe. Weeds could grow on flat concrete for that matter too - if someone let enough organic matter build up on it. So I guess anything's possible.

As for weed roots penetrating soil below, there is no soil below. SynLawn is installed on a 4" bed of highly compacted gravel with a geotextile fabric below that.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Didn't realize that Syn-Lawn was installed over a prepared base. Answers my question. Thanks, Jim.