Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2011, 03:35 PM
pattytastik's Avatar
pattytastik pattytastik is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 292
What kind of truck should I get?

I'm 16 and will be getting my license in the summer. I have around 60 accounts (all tiny) (i work in a city) I really just need something to carry my 2 22'' mowers and my weedwacker, blower, hedger ect. I do around 10 mulch jobs a season (less than 2-3 yards each). The main problem is cost. Insurance is ridiculous. Costs of trucks are crazy. I am thinking of an older (95-98) trucks 2wd (4wd is more expensive on insurance policy's apparently) and i would love an f-150, but i got a quote for 5.5k per year for a 99 f150 lol.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
__________________
18 year old
2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4
5x8 Trailer
Exmark Metro 36''
Toro Super Recycler 21in
Toro Recycler 22in
Honda Harmony 21in
Echo PB-500
Echo srm-230
Echo srm-225 (2)
Echo HC-150 (2)
Echo CS-400
Peltor worktunes
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-20-2011, 04:13 PM
NJ Grass NJ Grass is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bridgewater NJ
Posts: 77
Stay away from older Dodges or all Dodges for that matter, there transmissions are junk from my personal experience. I would say try and get a newer Toyota if you can, a V6 Tacoma will take care of you just fine and you'll have a lot less mechanic bills to deal with in the long run than if you buy an old american p/u.

As far as insurance I would see if you can have one of your parents get the vehicle insurance under their name, it's probably not so much the vehicle type thats driving up your insurance rates but rather your age, insurance companies fear young drivers and make them pay out the ass.

just my opinion, gl to you
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-2011, 04:22 PM
G. Ramey's Avatar
G. Ramey G. Ramey is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: clarkesville, ga
Posts: 374
$5500 a year for insurance. Thats ridiculous! Thats more than a hundred dollars a week. Have you checked with more than one insurance company?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-20-2011, 04:45 PM
pattytastik's Avatar
pattytastik pattytastik is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Ramey View Post
$5500 a year for insurance. Thats ridiculous! Thats more than a hundred dollars a week. Have you checked with more than one insurance company?
Yes. I have the best i have been able to find is like 4900 a year. Keep in mind:

I am a brand new driver
I am male
I live in one of the busiest cities in the world
I was getting a quote for a relitivly large pickup (more potential damage)
It had 4x4 (not sure about this one but i assume it is because of off-roading)
It actually was a brand new policy (for me, it wasn't gonna be on my parents policy) my parents aren't happy with the idea of me being on theirs lol.



Also, I do not plan on doing this a career. Just for money for college. So I can't rationalize buying a newer (2002+) pickup and spending a big deal on insurance when i will be dropping the business soon.
__________________
18 year old
2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4
5x8 Trailer
Exmark Metro 36''
Toro Super Recycler 21in
Toro Recycler 22in
Honda Harmony 21in
Echo PB-500
Echo srm-230
Echo srm-225 (2)
Echo HC-150 (2)
Echo CS-400
Peltor worktunes
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-20-2011, 05:00 PM
BCL Services BCL Services is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: central florida
Posts: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattytastik View Post
Yes. I have the best i have been able to find is like 4900 a year. Keep in mind:

I am a brand new driver
I am male
I live in one of the busiest cities in the world
I was getting a quote for a relitivly large pickup (more potential damage)
It had 4x4 (not sure about this one but i assume it is because of off-roading)
It actually was a brand new policy (for me, it wasn't gonna be on my parents policy) my parents aren't happy with the idea of me being on theirs lol.



Also, I do not plan on doing this a career. Just for money for college. So I can't rationalize buying a newer (2002+) pickup and spending a big deal on insurance when i will be dropping the business soon.
Sorry but all things considered above, that quote is still horribly high.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM
pattytastik's Avatar
pattytastik pattytastik is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCL Services View Post
Sorry but all things considered above, that quote is still horribly high.
I couldn't agree with you more.
__________________
18 year old
2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4
5x8 Trailer
Exmark Metro 36''
Toro Super Recycler 21in
Toro Recycler 22in
Honda Harmony 21in
Echo PB-500
Echo srm-230
Echo srm-225 (2)
Echo HC-150 (2)
Echo CS-400
Peltor worktunes
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-20-2011, 05:20 PM
mattmkng mattmkng is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rogers, AR
Posts: 12
Fords are great trucks and in my opinion I wouldn't drive anything else when it comes to half-ton and above. In your case I would try and find a Toyota Tacoma. They are very reliable, great on fuel, and can haul those three yards of mulch.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-20-2011, 05:28 PM
punt66's Avatar
punt66 punt66 is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Simsbury CT
Posts: 8,540
BUY AMERICAN. Do us all a favor.
__________________
JP Landscaping


SOLO OPERATION
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-20-2011, 06:14 PM
Classic Cuts Lawn Service's Avatar
Classic Cuts Lawn Service Classic Cuts Lawn Service is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Herndon, Virginia
Posts: 916
The reason your insurance is so high is because you are going to be a new driver. I am 17. I am on my parents insurance and their insurance nearly doubled once they added me for driving...
__________________
Classic Cuts Lawn Service
Ford and Chevy trucks
Exmark, Toro, Scag mowers
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-20-2011, 06:17 PM
pattytastik's Avatar
pattytastik pattytastik is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidmows View Post
The reason your insurance is so high is because you are going to be a new driver. I am 17. I am on my parents insurance and their insurance nearly doubled once they added me for driving...
What kind of car(s) do they/you drive?
and do you know how much it costs for u to be on their policy?
__________________
18 year old
2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4
5x8 Trailer
Exmark Metro 36''
Toro Super Recycler 21in
Toro Recycler 22in
Honda Harmony 21in
Echo PB-500
Echo srm-230
Echo srm-225 (2)
Echo HC-150 (2)
Echo CS-400
Peltor worktunes
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 PM.

Page generated in 0.09741 seconds with 7 queries